Maximize distance from the origin

• Thread starter Rsarette
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Origin
In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is true or false that there is always a point on the surface xyz=8 that is further away from the origin than a given point P on the same surface. The concept of finding the farthest point on a hyperbola in two dimensions is also mentioned as an analogy.
Rsarette

Homework Statement

Say that P is a point on the surface xyz=8. Is it true or false that you can always find another point Q on the surface such that Q is further away from the origin than P is?

Homework Equations

∇f(x,y,z)=λ∇g(x,y,z) where ∇g=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Let f(x,y,z)=x2+y2+z2
and g(x,y,z)=xyz-8

Then the ∇f(x,y,z)=λ
2x=λ
2y=λ
2z=λ
Therefore x=y=z
and then plugging into xyz=8
x3=8
x=2

But then the point (2,2,2) is only the square root of 12 away from the origin, where a point like (8,1,1) is the square root of 66 away from the origin. So I think I minimized the distance instead of maximizing the distance fro the origin, but how do I maximize the distance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rsarette said:

Homework Statement

Say that P is a point on the surface xyz=8. Is it true or false that you can always find another point Q on the surface such that Q is further away from the origin than P is?

Homework Equations

∇f(x,y,z)=λ∇g(x,y,z) where ∇g=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Let f(x,y,z)=x2+y2+z2
and g(x,y,z)=xyz-8

Then the ∇f(x,y,z)=λ
2x=λ
2y=λ
2z=λ
Therefore x=y=z
and then plugging into xyz=8
x3=8
x=2

But then the point (2,2,2) is only the square root of 12 away from the origin, where a point like (8,1,1) is the square root of 66 away from the origin. So I think I minimized the distance instead of maximizing the distance fro the origin, but how do I maximize the distance?

What does the graph of xyz = 8 look like? In two dimensions, the graph of xy = 4 is a hyperbola. There is a point on this hyperbola that is closest to the origin, but is it possible to find a point on it that is farthest from the origin? Your problem is similar to this.

Be sure to answer the question that was asked...

What is the concept of "maximize distance from the origin"?

The concept of "maximize distance from the origin" refers to finding the point or set of points that are farthest away from the origin on a coordinate plane. This is often used in optimization problems in mathematics and physics.

What is the equation for calculating distance from the origin?

The equation for calculating distance from the origin is d = √(x^2 + y^2), where x and y are the coordinates of a point on the plane. This equation is known as the Pythagorean theorem.

How can we maximize distance from the origin?

To maximize distance from the origin, we can use techniques such as differentiation and optimization to find the maximum value of the distance equation. This involves finding the critical points and evaluating them to determine which point or points give the maximum distance.

What are some real-life applications of maximizing distance from the origin?

Maximizing distance from the origin has many practical applications, such as finding the optimal location for a satellite to orbit around the Earth, determining the best launch angle for a projectile to travel the farthest distance, and finding the optimal placement of sensors in a wireless network to maximize coverage.

What are some common strategies for solving problems involving maximizing distance from the origin?

Some common strategies for solving problems involving maximizing distance from the origin include using calculus techniques, such as differentiation, to find the maximum value, using geometric methods to visualize the problem and identify the maximum distance point, and using algebraic techniques to manipulate equations and find the optimal solution.