Maximizing (ab+bc+ca) with a+2b+c=4

In summary, you are trying to solve for b in a homework equation, but you can't seem to get the answer. You substitute b into the equation and get a quadratic equation which you can differentiate to find a maximum value for X at a particular b.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let a,b,c be real numbers such that a+2b+c=4. Then the max value of (ab+bc+ca) is

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to substitute for b into the second expression but that won't give me the answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am trying to substitute for b into the second expression but that won't give me the answer.
Why?
The approach is fine, what do you get as result?

Note that a + c = 4-2b
and ab + bc + ac is the same as b(a + c) + ac

So you can write X = b(4-2b) + ac.
That's a quadratic that you can differentiate wrt b to find a maximum for X at a particular b. You can also find what ac must be from the same result.

After that, a few substitutions gives you the answer.

Last edited:
mfb said:
Why?
The approach is fine, what do you get as result?

[itex]b=\dfrac{4-a-c}{2}[/itex]
Now substituting this into the second expression and simplifying I get
[itex]\dfrac{4(a+c)-(a^2+c^2)}{2}[/itex]

Whats next?

AJ Bentley said:
Note that a + c = 4-2b
and ab + bc + ac is the same as b(a + c) + ac

So you can write X = b(4-2b) + ac.
That's a quadratic that you can differentiate wrt b to find a maximum for X at a particular b. You can also find what ac must be from the same result.

After that, a few substitutions gives you the answer.

Here's what I did

[itex]-2b^2+4b+ac[/itex]
Differentiating wrt b and setting it to 0
-4b+4=0
b=1
a+c=2
Now , ac=c(2-c)
Diff again wrt c and setting it to 0
c=1
a=1
Substituting a,b and c I get maximum value = 3

But the answer is 4. I can't find out my mistake. Maybe there is something wrong with differentiation.

utkarshakash said:
[itex]b=\dfrac{4-a-c}{2}[/itex]
Now substituting this into the second expression and simplifying I get
[itex]\dfrac{4(a+c)-(a^2+c^2)}{2}[/itex]

Whats next?
The derivative with respect to a is 2- a and the derivative wth respect to c is 2- c. Set those equal to 0 and you get a= c= 2 which then gives b= 0.

HallsofIvy said:
The derivative with respect to a is 2- a and the derivative wth respect to c is 2- c. Set those equal to 0 and you get a= c= 2 which then gives b= 0.

Thanks

1. What does "find the maximum value" mean?

"Find the maximum value" refers to determining the largest possible value within a given set of data or range of values. It is a common task in data analysis and optimization problems.

2. How do you find the maximum value in a dataset?

To find the maximum value in a dataset, you can use a mathematical or computational method depending on the type of data. For numerical data, you can use functions such as MAX() or sort the data in descending order and select the first value. For non-numerical data, you can use sorting algorithms or search for the highest value through iteration.

3. Can there be more than one maximum value in a dataset?

Yes, there can be multiple maximum values in a dataset if the data has a flat or plateau-shaped distribution. In this case, all values at the peak would be considered as the maximum value.

4. What is the significance of finding the maximum value?

Finding the maximum value is important in various fields such as statistics, economics, engineering, and computer science. It helps in identifying the most significant data point, making informed decisions, and optimizing processes for maximum efficiency.

5. How do outliers affect the maximum value?

Outliers, which are extreme values in a dataset, can significantly impact the maximum value by shifting it to a higher or lower value. It is important to identify and handle outliers appropriately to ensure accurate results in finding the maximum value.