Finding the largest and smallest values of ||v - w|| when ||v|| = 2 and ||w|| = 3

  • Thread starter Thread starter shane1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Norm Vector
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
shane1
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I don't know if I'm just having a slow day or what is going on but I am being stumped by this:

If ||v|| = 2 and ||w|| = 3 what are the largest and smallest values possible for ||v - w||. Give a geometric explanation.

Would it be as simple as just adding the two values for the largest, and subtracting for the smallest?

Any help would be apreciated.

-Shane
 
Physics news on Phys.org
consider the direction, and it is basically the triangle inequality.
 
shane1 said:
I don't know if I'm just having a slow day or what is going on but I am being stumped by this:

If ||v|| = 2 and ||w|| = 3 what are the largest and smallest values possible for ||v - w||. Give a geometric explanation.

Would it be as simple as just adding the two values for the largest, and subtracting for the smallest?

Any help would be apreciated.

-Shane

Think about the direction of the two vectors.