Maximizing Vector Sum with Constant Magnitudes

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum value of the norm of a sum of two vectors, given their constant magnitudes. The formula for the norm is derived and it is determined that the angle between the two vectors that would result in the maximum norm value can be found without taking the derivative, by considering when the cosine function has its maximum value. The vectors can be treated as having constant norms, but not as constant in terms of their direction.
ForceBoy
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>

Let there be two vectors, u and v. Whose magnitudes are constant

u
= [a, b]
v = [x, y]

Define c = ||u|| and k = ||v||

Now sum the vectors:

w = u + v = [a, b] +[x, y] = [a+x, b+y]

Now find ||w||

||w||
=√(a+x)2+(b+y)2

||w|| = √a2+2ax+x2+b2+2by+y2

||w|| = √u⋅u + v⋅v +2(ax+by)

||w|| = √u⋅u + v⋅v +2(u⋅v)

||w|| = √u⋅u + v⋅v +2||u|| ||v|| cos Θ

||w|| = √u⋅u + v⋅v +2ck cos Θ

Here is where I have trouble. I want to find the angle between the two vectors that would make ||w|| take on the largest possible value. I know that to do so I have to differentiate with respect to Θ. What I am not sure about is whether I would treat u and v as constants. Also I apologize if this does not belong in this forum. I was torn between this forum and the calculus forum.

EDIT:
Disregard that last part. This post was moved from the Linear algebra thread

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you need the derivative of ##\cos \Theta##. Just ask yourself, when does the cosine have its maximal values?

Likes Delta2
Thank you. That's much simpler. I was overthinking it.

Likes Delta2
Even then, you asked if you can consider the vectors to be constant or not. That is still an important issue no matter what approach you use. You can not consider them to be constant, since you are considering different angles between them. But you can consider their norms to be constant regardless of which way they are pointing. That is all you need. To be picky, you should put the equation in a form that does not depend on the exact vectors but just on their norms before you state that the norms are constant.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2

What is the concept of maximizing a sum of vectors?

The concept of maximizing a sum of vectors refers to finding the combination of vectors that results in the largest possible sum. This is often used in optimization problems where the goal is to maximize a certain objective function.

How do you calculate the sum of vectors?

To calculate the sum of vectors, you simply add the corresponding components of each vector. For example, if you have two vectors, (3, 4) and (1, 2), their sum would be (4, 6).

What is the difference between maximizing a sum of vectors and maximizing a single vector?

The main difference is that maximizing a sum of vectors involves finding the optimal combination of multiple vectors, while maximizing a single vector involves finding the optimal value for just one vector. Additionally, maximizing a sum of vectors may involve considering constraints and trade-offs between the individual vectors.

What are some applications of maximizing a sum of vectors?

Maximizing a sum of vectors has various applications in fields such as operations research, economics, and physics. For example, it can be used to optimize production processes, maximize profits, or find the optimal path for a particle in a physical system.

What techniques can be used to maximize a sum of vectors?

There are various techniques that can be used to maximize a sum of vectors, such as linear programming, gradient descent, and genetic algorithms. The most appropriate technique will depend on the specific problem at hand and the available data.