Maximizing Angular Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum angular acceleration of a massless stick with two masses attached at different distances from the pivot point. The attempt at a solution involves finding the center of mass position, using equations for force and torque, and taking the derivative to find the maximum acceleration. The issue of a possible tensile force in the stick is also brought up, requiring further consideration. The standard general formula for moment of inertia is also mentioned.
kitsh

Homework Statement

A massless stick of length d, held parallel to the ground, has a mass, m, attached at one end of it and a pivot on the other end. A second mass, m, is glued on at a distance x from the pivot. At what distance x would maximize the angular acceleration of the stick the instant it is released.

Homework Equations

F=Ma
Τ=Iα=RxF
a=αR

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the center of mass position, R, to be x+(d-x)/2 and F=2mg.
With some algebra I found that Τ=2m(x+(d-x)/2)²α=2mg(x+(d-x)/2)
Then solving for α, I found α=g/(x+(d-x)/2) and to maximize I would have to take the derivative with respect to x and set it equal to zero.

I believe this work to be right but my friend brought up the fact there would be a tensile force in the stick and I don't know how that would affect the equations if it would at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
kitsh said:
With some algebra I found that Τ=2m(x+(d-x)/2)²α
No, moment of inertia doesn't work like that. You cannot treat it as though both masses are at the common mass centre.
What is the standard general formula for moment of inertia?

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, which is the measure of how quickly an object is rotating around an axis. It is expressed in units of radians per second squared (rad/s²).

How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating, while linear acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object is changing its linear velocity. Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared.

What factors affect the magnitude of angular acceleration?

The magnitude of angular acceleration is affected by the moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, and the torque, which is the force that causes an object to rotate. The direction of angular acceleration is determined by the direction of the torque.

How can angular acceleration be maximized?

To maximize angular acceleration, you can increase the torque applied to the object or decrease its moment of inertia. This can be achieved by using a longer lever arm, increasing the force applied, or reducing the mass of the object.

What are some real-world applications of maximizing angular acceleration?

Maximizing angular acceleration is important in many fields, such as sports, engineering, and physics. It is used in designing machines and vehicles that need to rotate quickly, such as motors and turbines. In sports, maximizing angular acceleration is crucial for activities like gymnastics and figure skating. In physics, it is used to study rotational motion and the effects of forces on rotating objects.