Find the angular acceleration of the bridge?

In summary, Sir Lost-a-Lot is attempting to improve communication between damsels and dragons by setting out on his horse from the castle. However, due to a mistake from his squire, the drawbridge is lowered too far and stops 20.0° below the horizontal. With the combined center of mass of the knight and his horse 1.00 m from the end of the bridge, the lift cable breaks and the bridge swings freely until it is vertical. The problem asks to find the angular acceleration of the bridge once it starts to move, given the values of theta, length, bridge mass, knight mass, and length from knight to end of drawbridge. By calculating the torque caused by the mass-gravity forces of the
general_ludd

Homework Statement

Sir Lost-a-Lot dons his armor and sets out from the castle on his trusty steed in his quest to improve communication between damsels and dragons (Fig. P12.20). Unfortunately his squire lowered the draw bridge too far and finally stopped it 20.0° below the horizontal. Lost-a-Lot and his horse stop when their combined center of mass is 1.00 m from the end of the bridge. The uniform bridge is 8.00 m long and has a mass of 2100 kg. The lift cable is attached to the bridge 5.00 m from the hinge at the castle end, and to a point on the castle wall 12.0 m above the bridge. Lost-a-Lot's mass combined with his armor and steed is 1000 kg. Suddenly, the lift cable breaks! The hinge between the castle wall and the bridge is frictionless, and the bridge swings freely until it is vertical.

Find the angular acceleration of the bridge once it starts to move.
theta = 20deg
L=8m
mb = 2100 kg
mt = 1000 kg
d1 = 1m (length from knight to end of drawbridge)

Homework Equations

torque τ=RxF= Iα

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think the hinge force is relevant here and the tension force certainly isn't since it has snapped.

Therefore, the only forces causing torque are those of the mass-gravity force of the bridge and the night.

I calculate these as as Fb= mb*gsin(θ) and Ft = mt*gsin(θ) respectively; these forces are applied perpendicular to the drawbridge at 4 meters and 7 meters from the hinge respectively.

Therefore, the total torque as given by RxF should be 4Fb + 7Ft.

I equate this to Iα in order to solve for the angular acceleration denoted by alpha, meaning that
α=τ/I = RxF/I

The moment of inertia, I, was calculated by I = 1/3*mb*L2 + mt(L-d1)^2.

My answer once everything is plugged in:

(4*2100*9.81sin(20deg) + 7*1000*9.81sin(20deg)) / (1/3*2100*8^2+1000*7^2) = 0.5509 rad/s^2
physics.png

Physics news on Phys.org
general_ludd said:
Therefore, the only forces causing torque are those of the mass-gravity force of the bridge and the night.
Correct.
general_ludd said:
these forces are applied perpendicular to the drawbridge at 4 meters and 7 meters from the hinge respectively.
Incorrect. The forces are straight down because they are the force of gravity on the drawbridge and on the knight. You need to calculate the lever arm for the torques.

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is defined as the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It measures how quickly an object's angular velocity is changing.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula for angular acceleration is α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where α is angular acceleration, ω is angular velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the unit of angular acceleration?

The unit of angular acceleration is radians per second squared (rad/s²).

4. How does angular acceleration affect the motion of an object?

Angular acceleration affects the motion of an object by changing its angular velocity, which in turn affects its rotational motion. A positive angular acceleration causes an object to speed up its rotational motion, while a negative angular acceleration causes it to slow down.

5. How can I find the angular acceleration of a bridge?

To find the angular acceleration of a bridge, you will need to know the bridge's angular velocity at two different times. Measure the change in angular velocity and the change in time, and then use the formula α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1) to calculate the angular acceleration. Make sure to use consistent units for time and angular velocity (e.g. seconds and radians per second), and be aware of any external forces that may affect the bridge's motion.