Angular Acceleration of a Pulley with Mass

In summary, the problem involves a pulley with mass and radius hanging from the ceiling, connected to two blocks of different masses by a massless, non-stretchable rope. The angular acceleration of the pulley can be found using the equation τ=Iα, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. The ratio of the tension forces on the vertical portions of the rope can be expressed as T1/T2 = m1(g-a) / m2(g+a), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the blocks and g is the acceleration due to gravity.
OlicityFangirl

Homework Statement

A pulley hangs of mass, m, and radius, R, hangs from the ceiling. Two blocks of masses, m1 and m2 are connected by a massless, non-stretchable rope on the pulley (assume no slipping). What is the angular acceleration of the pulley and what is the ratio of the tension forces on the vertical portions of the rope while the blocks are moving?

Homework Equations

τ=Iα
F=ma
Icyl=0.5mR2
atan=αR

The Attempt at a Solution

Because the pulley has a mass, the tension forces on each side of the rope are different (if the pulley were massless then the tensions on each side would be the same, to my knowledge). The torque determines the angular acceleration:

τ=Iα

Since the tension work in opposite directions, the tensions, T1 and T2, act in opposite directions (where T1 is on the side of block 1 and T2 is on the side of block 2).

τ=Iα=T1-T2

I can use Newton's Second Law to try and find the two unknown tension forces:

F1=m1a=m1g-T1
F2=m2a=T2-m2g

Solving for T:

T1=m1g-m1a
T2=m2g+m2a

Plugging this into Iα=T1-T2:

m1g-m1a-m2g+m2a=Iα

Here is where I start to get more unsure. I still have the unknown linear acceleration, a. I think I can relate it to α using a=αr since there is no slipping. Then my equation would be:

m1g-m1αR-m2g+m2αR=0.5mR2α

Then, I can isolate and solve for α. I like to try and see if my answers make intuitive sense, and I'm not sure this one does:

α= g(m1-m2) / 0.5mR2+m1R-m2R

It seems angular acceleration increases as the mass of block 1 increases. This makes sense because if the weight of block 1 is greater, the pulley will rotate faster. However, the denominator also increases as m1 increases and decreases as m2 increases, which seems counterintuitive to me.

The ratio of tensions (T1/T2) is as simple as m1(g-a)/m2(g-a). I'm not sure how to think about this, but I'm confident in my work on this part.

Thanks for checking over my work!

Physics news on Phys.org
OlicityFangirl said:
Since the tension work in opposite directions, the tensions, T1 and T2, act in opposite directions (where T1 is on the side of block 1 and T2 is on the side of block 2).

τ=Iα=T1-T2
You are on the right track, but fix that equation. (You left out a factor of R on the right hand side. You need torques on both sides of the equation.)

Likes OlicityFangirl
Oops right I forgot that τ=FtanR.

When fixing this, my equation becomes:

R(T1-T2)=Iα

Plugging in my tension values from Newton's Second Law and assuming a=Rα:

R(m1(g-a)-m2(g+a))=0.5mR2α

I can cancel out an R. I also seem to have forgotten to distribute the negative through T2 in my original post.

m1g-m1Rα-m2g-m2Rα=0.5mRα

Isolating and solving for angular acceleration now gets:

α= g(m1-m2) / R(0.5m+m1+m2)

My ratio of tensions should be unchanged.

OlicityFangirl said:
Isolating and solving for angular acceleration now gets:

α= g(m1-m2) / R(0.5m+m1+m2)
Looks good to me, assuming you can treat the pulley as a solid disk.

OlicityFangirl said:
My ratio of tensions should be unchanged.

OlicityFangirl said:
The ratio of tensions (T1/T2) is as simple as m1(g-a)/m2(g-a).
One of those minus signs should be a + sign. You can also express this ratio in terms of the known masses, but the expression might be messy. (I didn't work it out.)

Likes OlicityFangirl
Oh oops, I just made a typo. It should be:

T1/T2 = m1(g-a) / m2(g+a)

We always treat pulleys as solid cylinders. Thanks so much for your help!

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which the angular velocity of an object changes. It is measured in radians per second squared.

2. How is angular acceleration related to pulleys with mass?

In the case of a pulley with mass, the angular acceleration is directly proportional to the net torque applied to the pulley and inversely proportional to the moment of inertia of the pulley.

3. What factors affect the angular acceleration of a pulley with mass?

The angular acceleration of a pulley with mass is affected by the net torque applied to the pulley, the moment of inertia of the pulley, and the mass attached to the pulley.

4. How is angular acceleration calculated for a pulley with mass?

The angular acceleration of a pulley with mass can be calculated using the equation α = τ/I, where α is the angular acceleration, τ is the net torque, and I is the moment of inertia of the pulley.

5. What are the units of angular acceleration?

The units of angular acceleration are radians per second squared (rad/s²) in the SI system of units, or degrees per second squared (deg/s²) in the imperial system of units.