Maximizing PV Panel Output with MPPT and Microinverters

• Thread starter seb7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Watts
In summary, a Microinverter converts solar energy directly to AC power to help charge batteries more quickly.
seb7
Im wondering if its possible to 'pull' more watts out of PV solar panels as to charge batteries quicker.

The maximum watts from the panels must depend on the load its given. So what if we find the optimum load draw, and create some kind of modified DC-DC converter which cleverly controls the voltages input drop (eg. 8v) as to draw the maximum watts - as well as holding a steady output voltage. (eg.14.5v)

Would this work? or, has this been done already?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
seb7 said:
Im wondering if its possible to 'pull' more watts out of PV solar panels as to charge batteries quicker.

The maximum watts from the panels must depend on the load its given. So what if we find the optimum load draw, and create some kind of modified DC-DC converter which cleverly controls the voltages input drop (eg. 8v) as to draw the maximum watts - as well as holding a steady output voltage. (eg.14.5v)

The power output from the solar panels is dictated by the amount of incoming solar energy and the panel efficiency. If you want more power available you need to increase the size of the array or concentrate more light on the panels, but you can't magically increase the efficiency of the array.

seb7 said:

You can tune your DC-DC converter to have the solar cell operate at it's Maximum-Power Point, but that's about all that you can do beyond what ME is saying. See the Maximum-Power Point info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cell#Energy_conversion_efficiency

Been researching all evening. It seems it has already been done.

These are called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mppt" which apparently can get up to 30% more power out of your panels. These modules are usually combined with a well controlled 4 stage charger. Though these are much better than a normal controllers, they are expensive.

I moved on to a better idea, as each panel is performing slightly differently, it would be better to have one for each panel and output at a much higher voltage as to reduce the power loss in the cables. Then I found that a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microinverter" already does such a job! converting directly to AC domestic voltage. I would never have guessed that converting to AC is actually the most efficient method of getting power from PV panels!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Maximizing PV Panel Output with MPPT and Microinverters

1. How can I increase the wattage output of my PV panels?

To increase the wattage output of your PV panels, you can either add more panels to your existing system or upgrade to panels with a higher wattage rating. You can also ensure that your panels are installed in a location that receives ample sunlight and that they are properly maintained and cleaned to maximize their efficiency.

2. Will adding more PV panels always result in increased wattage output?

No, adding more PV panels does not necessarily guarantee an increase in wattage output. The efficiency and quality of the panels, as well as the amount of sunlight they receive, also play a significant role in the wattage output. It is important to carefully research and select high-quality panels for optimal results.

3. Are there any other factors that can affect the wattage output of PV panels?

Yes, there are several other factors that can impact the wattage output of PV panels. These include the angle and tilt of the panels, temperature, shading, and the type of inverter used. It is important to consider all of these factors when designing and installing a PV system to maximize its efficiency.

4. Can I store excess wattage from my PV panels?

Yes, it is possible to store excess wattage from PV panels using a battery storage system. This allows you to use the stored energy later when your panels are not producing enough wattage, such as at night or during cloudy days. However, the efficiency and cost of these systems should be carefully considered before investing in one.

5. Is it possible to exceed the maximum wattage rating of PV panels?

Yes, it is possible to exceed the maximum wattage rating of PV panels by using a technique called "overclocking." This involves adjusting the voltage and current of the panels to produce more wattage. However, this can also decrease the lifespan of the panels and should only be done under the guidance of a professional to avoid damaging the system.