1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resultant of two vectors of equal magnitude

1. Aug 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Resultant of two vectors of equal magnitude A is
    a) √3 A at 60
    b) √2 A at 90
    c) 2A at 120
    d) A at 180
    2. Relevant equations
    When two vectors are of equal magnitudes then their resultant is
    ##A_R## = 2 A Cos θ/2
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I think we need more information especially the angle between the given two vectors . Or we can eliminate options one by one. Answer is both a & b
    I tried to cross check it . If the resultant is at 60 it means angle between the vectors we started with is 120 i.e θ =120
    if we plug in the numbers
    ##A_R## = 2A Cos 120/2
    = 2A cos 60
    = 2A 1/2
    = A
    which is not equal to √3
    Similarly for option b
    ##A_R## = 2A Cos 180/2
    = 2A cos 90
    = 2A 0
    = 0
    I 'll get it correct if I directly put θ=60 & 90 respectively . But as far as I know θ in this formula ##A_R## = 2 A Cos θ/2 is angle between the two vectors and not the vector and resultant

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2016 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Right. The question doesn't make sense.

4. Aug 16, 2016 #3
    I think you are right - that the angles shown in the problem statement are the original angles between the 2 vectors of magnitude A.

5. Aug 16, 2016 #4

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't see the problem, it seems to me it's giving you the angles between the two vectors to check and what the resultant magnitude should be, so A and B are both correct as you say.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted