1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum angular velocity and free body diagram

1. Mar 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have found the question I am having trouble with here:

http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/...se-height-incline-ish-50cm--coefficie-q218123

2. Relevant equations
    See below

3. The attempt at a solution
    After doing my free body diagram, I picked the vertical axis to be y and the horizontal axis to be r.
    Force total in the r direction= Fnsinθ-Ffrcosθ= m((v^2)/r)
    In the y direction, = Ffrsinθ + FnCosθ-mg=0, b/c a=0

If this box is not to be in motion, then the sum of these forces should be zero. I set the two equations = to zero, while solving for v, but it did not come out to the 1.8 that is given as a solution. Are my components at least correct? If so, where am I going wrong?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In which direction does each of those forces act? What is the direction of acceleration?

4. Mar 3, 2013 #3
    Don't the negative and positive signs indicate the direction? This is knowing that r is positive to the right and y is positive upwards.

5. Mar 3, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I was hinting that you have some signs wrong.

6. Mar 3, 2013 #5
    I see a is negative, but I don't see anything wrong with the other signs. My rough free body diagram is attached

Attached Files:

• mg.doc
      mg.doc
      File size:
      27.5 KB
      Views:
  7. Mar 3, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You diagram is fine as far as I can tell (you don't show where the axis is). I ask again, which way is the centripetal acceleration? Which of the forces you have in the equation act in that direction?

8. Mar 3, 2013 #7
    Pointing towards the center, thus, technically it is -v^2/r. However, does that have any bearing on the sign of the components of the normal force and friction? I thought that had to do with which way the coordinate axes point

9. Mar 3, 2013 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The correct equation is certainly Ffrcosθ - Fnsinθ = m((v^2)/r). But maybe you fixed it up later in your calculation somehow.
    I get 1.99 rad/sec, not 1.8. What do you get? If not 1.99, please post the details of your whole calculation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted