1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archived Maximum Charge on a Capacitor, Help

1. Apr 20, 2008 #1
    Hi, thanks in advance to all who help

a) Determine the time constant for charging the capacitor in the circuit given.
    b) what is the maximum charge on the capacitor?
    | | |
    | < |
    E R2 > C
    | | |

E = emf and C is the capacitor, sorry for the poor illustration.

Mentor's edit: Here's a better illustration:

For a, I've determined the equivalent resistance of parallel resistors to be (1/R1 + 1/R2)^-1 = R1R2/(R1+R2), thus the time constant would be tau = CReq = CR1R2/(R1+R2)

For b) I have a feeling Qmax for the capacitor will be Qmax = CV where V is the voltage across R2 since R2 and C are parallel, but I can't figure out V across R2 in terms of E, R1, R2, C. Can anyone help? Thanks again.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2016 #2
    I got the same result after solving with differential equations.
    Let the time constant be T.
    Current supplied by the source is,
    From this equation, it can be verified that at t=0, I=E/R1(capacitor acts as a short at t=0) and at t=∞, I=E/(R1+R2)..(capacitor acts as open circuit at t=∞).
    In steady state, the capacitor will act as an open circuit. Hence, current will flow though the series combination of R1 and R2.
    So, Voltage across C=Voltage across R2 in steady state= E*R2/(R1+R2)
    Final charge on the capacitor=Q=CV= ECR2/(R1+R2).
  4. Feb 11, 2016 #3
    The above approach involves some mathematical calculations and a generalized expression for current I(t). Instead, I believe the best and simplest approach to solve these two questions a and b is Thevenin's theorem.
  5. Feb 13, 2016 #4
  6. Feb 13, 2016 #5
    Why do you regard R1 and R2 as being in parallel?
    When C is fully charged then the current through the capacitor is ?

Which makes the fial voltage across C ? ?

Hence the max charge will be ? ? ?
  7. Feb 14, 2016 #6
    Are those your own queries or are you trying to give hints to the OP?
  8. Feb 15, 2016 #7
    Vc=VR2 where R1 & R2 are voltage divider.
    I = E/(R1+R2) and VR2=IR2, so Vc =E[R2/(R1+R2)]
  9. Feb 16, 2016 #8
    Since C=Q/Vc, Q =C Vc, so the charge Q depends on the value of capacitance you put on your circuit and magnitude of Vc
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted