Maximum Charge on a Capacitor, Help

In summary,The capacitor will discharge through its series combination of R1 and R2 in a time constant determined by the equivalent resistance of the parallel resistors. The maximum charge on the capacitor is determined by the voltage across R2.
ryeager
Hi, thanks in advance to all who help

a) Determine the time constant for charging the capacitor in the circuit given.
b) what is the maximum charge on the capacitor?
R1
______vvvv____________
| | |
| < |
E R2 > C
| | |
|______________|______|

E = emf and C is the capacitor, sorry for the poor illustration.

Mentor's edit: Here's a better illustration:
upload_2016-2-8_14-58-30.png

For a, I've determined the equivalent resistance of parallel resistors to be (1/R1 + 1/R2)^-1 = R1R2/(R1+R2), thus the time constant would be tau = CReq = CR1R2/(R1+R2)

For b) I have a feeling Qmax for the capacitor will be Qmax = CV where V is the voltage across R2 since R2 and C are parallel, but I can't figure out V across R2 in terms of E, R1, R2, C. Can anyone help? Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ryeager said:
For a, I've determined the equivalent resistance of parallel resistors to be (1/R1 + 1/R2)^-1 = R1R2/(R1+R2), thus the time constant would be tau = CReq = CR1R2/(R1+R2)
I got the same result after solving with differential equations.
Let the time constant be T.
Current supplied by the source is,
I(t)=ET/(R1R2C)*(1-e-t/T)+(E*e-t/T)/R1
From this equation, it can be verified that at t=0, I=E/R1(capacitor acts as a short at t=0) and at t=∞, I=E/(R1+R2)..(capacitor acts as open circuit at t=∞).
ryeager said:
For b) I have a feeling Qmax for the capacitor will be Qmax = CV where V is the voltage across R2 since R2 and C are parallel, but I can't figure out V across R2 in terms of E, R1, R2, C.
In steady state, the capacitor will act as an open circuit. Hence, current will flow though the series combination of R1 and R2.
So, Voltage across C=Voltage across R2 in steady state= E*R2/(R1+R2)
Final charge on the capacitor=Q=CV= ECR2/(R1+R2).

Likes Ronie Bayron and gracy
The above approach involves some mathematical calculations and a generalized expression for current I(t). Instead, I believe the best and simplest approach to solve these two questions a and b is Thevenin's theorem.

Likes gracy
ryeager said:

R1
______vvvv____________
| | |
| < |
E R2 > C
| | |
|______________|______|

View attachment 95530

For b) I have a feeling Qmax for the capacitor will be Qmax = CV where V is the voltage across R2 since R2 and C are parallel, but I can't figure out V across R2 in terms of E, R1, R2, C. Can anyone help? Thanks again.

Why do you regard R1 and R2 as being in parallel?
When C is fully charged then the current through the capacitor is ?

Which makes the fial voltage across C ? ?Hence the max charge will be ? ? ?

Kenygreen said:
Why do you regard R1 and R2 as being in parallel?
When C is fully charged then the current through the capacitor is ?

Which makes the final voltage across C ? ?Hence the max charge will be ? ? ?
Are those your own queries or are you trying to give hints to the OP?

ryeager said:

R1
______vvvv____________
| | |
| < |
E R2 > C
| | |
|______________|______|

View attachment 95530

Vc=VR2 where R1 & R2 are voltage divider.
I = E/(R1+R2) and VR2=IR2, so Vc =E[R2/(R1+R2)]

Ronie Bayron said:
Vc=VR2 where R1 & R2 are voltage divider.
I = E/(R1+R2) and VR2=IR2, so Vc =E[R2/(R1+R2)]
Since C=Q/Vc, Q =C Vc, so the charge Q depends on the value of capacitance you put on your circuit and magnitude of Vc

1. What is the maximum charge that can be stored on a capacitor?

The maximum charge that can be stored on a capacitor is determined by its capacitance and the voltage applied to it. It can be calculated using the formula Q = CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage. The unit for charge is coulombs (C).

2. How is the maximum charge on a capacitor affected by its capacitance?

The maximum charge on a capacitor is directly proportional to its capacitance. This means that as the capacitance increases, the maximum charge that can be stored also increases. Similarly, if the capacitance decreases, the maximum charge that can be stored decreases as well.

3. Can the maximum charge on a capacitor be exceeded?

Yes, it is possible to exceed the maximum charge on a capacitor by applying a higher voltage than it is designed for. This can cause the capacitor to fail or even explode. It is important to always use the recommended voltage for a capacitor to avoid damaging it.

4. Does the type of dielectric material used in a capacitor affect its maximum charge?

Yes, the type of dielectric material used in a capacitor can affect its maximum charge. Different dielectric materials have different permittivity values, which determine how much charge a capacitor can hold. Materials with higher permittivity can hold more charge, resulting in a higher maximum charge.

5. How does the shape and size of a capacitor affect its maximum charge?

The shape and size of a capacitor do not directly affect its maximum charge. However, they can indirectly affect it by affecting the capacitance. Capacitance is directly proportional to the surface area of the plates and inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that a larger surface area and smaller distance between plates will result in a higher capacitance and, therefore, a higher maximum charge.