Maximum Charge in an LC circuit.

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a circuit with a resistor, two inductors, one capacitor, one battery, and a switch. The values for the components are provided, including R1 = 481 Ω, L1 = 281 mH, L2 = 163 mH, C = 85 μF, and V = 12 V. The question at hand is to find Qmax, the maximum charge on the capacitor after the switch is opened. The equations UL = 0.5(L)(I)(I), UC = 0.5(Q)*(Q)*C, and I = V/R are considered, with the assumption that the energy in the capacitor and inductor are equal. The
InertialRef

Homework Statement

A circuit is constructed with a resistor, two inductors, one capacitor, one battery and a switch as shown. The value of the resistance is R1 = 481 Ω. The values for the inductances are: L1 = 281 mH and L2 = 163 mH. The capacitance is C = 85 μF and the battery voltage is V = 12 V. The positive terminal of the battery is indicated with a + sign.

https://www.smartphysics.com/Content/Media/Images/EM/19/h19_LC_energies.png

What is Qmax, the magnitude of the maximum charge on the capacitor after the switch is opened?

Homework Equations

So far I have been trying to find Qmax from these two equations below:

UL = 0.5(L)(I)(I)
UC = 0.5(Q)*(Q)*C
I = V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, I have been assuming that the energy in the capacitor and the energy in the inductor are equal. With that assumption, at first I attempted to set UL = UC, and solve for Q that way, but that answer was wrong.

I'm stumped at the moment. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the switch had been closed for a long time before opened the DC current flowing through the inductors is V(battery)/R. When the switch is opened that current flows and charges the capacitor, so its voltage increases. The changing current induces voltage across the inductors. The sum of voltages in the closed circuit is zero.Write up the equation.

ehild

1. What is an LC circuit?

An LC circuit is a type of electronic circuit that consists of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. These two components work together to store and release energy in the form of electric and magnetic fields.

2. What is the maximum charge in an LC circuit?

The maximum charge in an LC circuit is the maximum amount of electric charge that can be stored in the capacitor at a given time. This occurs when the capacitor is fully charged and the inductor is storing the maximum amount of magnetic energy.

3. How is the maximum charge calculated in an LC circuit?

The maximum charge in an LC circuit can be calculated using the formula Q = CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance of the capacitor, and V is the voltage across the capacitor. This formula assumes ideal conditions where there is no resistance or energy loss in the circuit.

4. What factors affect the maximum charge in an LC circuit?

The maximum charge in an LC circuit is affected by the capacitance of the capacitor, the inductance of the inductor, and the initial voltage across the capacitor. It is also influenced by the frequency of the alternating current in the circuit.

5. How is the maximum charge in an LC circuit used in practical applications?

The maximum charge in an LC circuit is used in various practical applications such as in radio frequency (RF) circuits, oscillators, and filters. It is also used in electronic devices that require a high amount of energy storage, such as in defibrillators and strobe lights.