1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum Charge in an LC circuit.

1. Mar 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A circuit is constructed with a resistor, two inductors, one capacitor, one battery and a switch as shown. The value of the resistance is R1 = 481 Ω. The values for the inductances are: L1 = 281 mH and L2 = 163 mH. The capacitance is C = 85 μF and the battery voltage is V = 12 V. The positive terminal of the battery is indicated with a + sign.

https://www.smartphysics.com/Content/Media/Images/EM/19/h19_LC_energies.png [Broken]

What is Qmax, the magnitude of the maximum charge on the capacitor after the switch is opened?

2. Relevant equations

So far I have been trying to find Qmax from these two equations below:

UL = 0.5(L)(I)(I)
    UC = 0.5(Q)*(Q)*C
    I = V/R

3. The attempt at a solution

So far, I have been assuming that the energy in the capacitor and the energy in the inductor are equal. With that assumption, at first I attempted to set UL = UC, and solve for Q that way, but that answer was wrong.

I'm stumped at the moment. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assuming the switch had been closed for a long time before opened the DC current flowing through the inductors is V(battery)/R. When the switch is opened that current flows and charges the capacitor, so its voltage increases. The changing current induces voltage across the inductors. The sum of voltages in the closed circuit is zero.Write up the equation.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted