1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum EMF in a rotating coil, in an AC generator?

1. May 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Im currently in my last year of highschool, and i'm writing a report on AC generators. I've heard a number of different things from different sources. When the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field, maximum magnetic flux is flowing through the coil. This is then at a minimum when the coil is parallel to the field.

EMF is induced when there is a rate of change of magentic flux through the loop. Why then is EMF at a maximum when the coil is parallel? i.e it was turned from being perpendicular to now being parallel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Relevant equations
    EMF = [tex]\Delta[/tex] ( [tex]\phi[/tex]2 - [tex]\phi[/tex]1) / [tex]\Delta[/tex] t

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt is my failed understanding of the concept.

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2009 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The EMF depends not on the flux through the coil, but instead on the rate of change of the flux through the coil, as you said.

When the coil is parallel the flux may be 0, but the rate of change of the flux is not zero. At that point, the flux is increasing at it's fastest rate. This is why the EMF is at its highest positive value at this point.

Does this make sense?

(In order to actually compute the rate of change of the flux in this problem, you'll need calculus, and more information about how the coil is rotating.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook