Maximum Energy Stored in a Capacitor in an AC circuit

In summary, a circuit with an AC generator, resistor, capacitor, and inductor is described. The generator voltage varies with time and the circuit is in resonance at a specific frequency, resulting in a maximum current of 0.5 A. The capacitance and inductance values are also given. To find the energy in the circuit, the peak voltage must be plugged into the energy equation. However, combining the energy capacity of both the capacitor and inductor is a more effective approach. Additionally, the circuit is in resonance, so the current is equal to the voltage divided by the resistance. Knowing the individual impedances of the components allows for the determination of the potentials across them.
TMO

Homework Statement

A circuit is constructed with an AC generator, a resistor, capacitor and inductor as shown. The generator voltage varies in time as ε = Va - Vb = m*sin(ωt), where m = 24.0 V and ω = 187.0 radians/second. At this frequency,the circuit is in resonance with the maximum value of the current I = 0.5 A. The capacitance C = 130.0μF. L = 0.2199751 H.

Homework Equations

Energy capacity of a capacitor = ½CV2
Energy capacity of an inductor = ½LV2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to calculate the energy in terms of plugging in the peak voltage into the energy equation. However, this doesn't yield the correct answer. So I tried combining the energy capacity of both the conductor an the inductor, but this didn't work either. I'm not sure where to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
"as shown" doesn't help much without a picture...

And how are we to interpret Va and Vb?

My apologies. The picture referenced is here:

https://www.smartphysics.com/Content/Media/Images/EM/20/h20_AC1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so it's a series circuit in resonance. What do you you know about the current in a series circuit? And, since you're given the frequency of operation, what can you say about the impedances of L and C? (or reactances, if you haven't covered impedances yet).

Because the circuit is in resonance, I = εmax/R*sin(ωt). The impedance is only equal to the resistance.

TMO said:
Because the circuit is in resonance, I = εmax/R*sin(ωt). The impedance is only equal to the resistance.

Right. Note that you are given the value of Imax. If you then have the individual impedances of the components you can determine the potentials across them. What's the impedance of the capacitor? What's the impedance of the inductor?

I see the solution. Vc = IXc. Thanks.

1. What is the formula for calculating the maximum energy stored in a capacitor in an AC circuit?

The formula for calculating the maximum energy stored in a capacitor in an AC circuit is Emax = 0.5 x C x Vmax2, where Emax is the maximum energy stored, C is the capacitance of the capacitor, and Vmax is the maximum voltage across the capacitor.

2. How does the maximum energy stored in a capacitor in an AC circuit differ from that in a DC circuit?

In an AC circuit, the maximum energy stored in a capacitor is constantly changing as the voltage and current alternate, whereas in a DC circuit, the maximum energy stored is constant as the voltage and current remain steady.

3. What factors affect the maximum energy stored in a capacitor in an AC circuit?

The maximum energy stored in a capacitor in an AC circuit is affected by the capacitance of the capacitor, the maximum voltage applied, and the frequency of the AC current.

4. How can the maximum energy stored in a capacitor in an AC circuit be increased?

The maximum energy stored in a capacitor in an AC circuit can be increased by increasing the capacitance of the capacitor, increasing the maximum voltage applied, or increasing the frequency of the AC current.

5. Why is the maximum energy stored in a capacitor in an AC circuit important?

The maximum energy stored in a capacitor in an AC circuit is important because it determines the amount of energy that can be stored and released during each cycle of the AC current. This is crucial in many electronic devices and power systems that utilize capacitors to store and regulate energy.