Maximum force to not rotate a cylinder

In summary, the question asks for the maximum force that can be applied to a vertical cylinder against a wall without causing it to rotate. After setting up equations, it is determined that there must be a normal force and a friction force acting on the cylinder to prevent it from moving. Using three equations, the maximum force is calculated to be a little less than 3 N.
nautola

Homework Statement

A vertical cylinder is sitting against a wall. It has a weight of 20N and no given radius. A force is applied tangentially in a vertical direction on the side not against the wall. The coefficient of friction is 0.499 for all surfaces. What is the maximum force so that the cylinder will not rotate?

Homework Equations

τ= Fr-f(bottom)r-f(wall)r=0
f=μN

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the necessary equations and I thought that since there wasn't a normal force applied horizontally, the wall didn't have any friction so I neglected it and answered 9.98. That wasn't correct.

Sorry about the sideways picture.

Attachments

• IMAG0033.jpg
    IMAG0033.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 310
Physics news on Phys.org
The wall exerts a normal force and has a friction force. The cylinder isn't moving so sum of torques, and x and y forces equals 0. Draw a free body diagram to account for all the forces.

I might have a solution however I'd rather not give you a possibly incorrect set of reasoning if it turns out to be wrong, care to give the correct number?

I wouldn't call that a "vertical" cylinder!
It is getting very late here, and I usually write nonsense late at night, but perhaps you will find something useful in this argument.
There must be a normal force pressing it against the wall.
Consider the horizontal forces on the cylinder. You have a friction force F₁ on the bottom going to the right (opposing the turning). There must be another horizontal force on the side preventing the cylinder from accelerating to the right - the wall pushes on the cylinder with F₁. (This F₁ results from a normal force F₀ acting down on the floor and up on the cylinder F₁ = μF₀ [1]). So the cylinder must push on the wall with F₁ . This normal force results in an upward friction force μF₁ . Vertically we have no acceleration so F + μF₁ - mg + F₀ = 0 [2]. The torques about the touch point on the wall add up to zero: F*2r - mgr + F₀r = 0 [3]. We have 3 equations in unknowns F,F₀ and F₁. Solve them for F. I got a little less than 3 N but I usually calculate incorrectly late at night.

I would first clarify the assumptions and parameters of the problem. For example, does the cylinder have a fixed base or is it able to roll? What material is the wall made of? Is the force applied at the center of the cylinder or at a specific point on the surface? These details can greatly affect the solution.

Assuming that the cylinder is a solid, fixed base cylinder and the force is applied at the center, the maximum force to prevent rotation can be calculated using the equation τ= Fr-f(bottom)r-f(wall)r=0, where τ is the torque, F is the applied force, r is the radius of the cylinder, and f(bottom) and f(wall) are the friction forces at the bottom and against the wall, respectively. Since the cylinder is not rotating, the torque must be equal to zero.

To calculate the friction forces, we can use the equation f=μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force. In this case, the normal force is equal to the weight of the cylinder, which is 20N. Therefore, the friction forces are f(bottom)=0.499*20=9.98N and f(wall)=0. The friction force against the wall is zero because there is no applied force in that direction.

Substituting these values into the torque equation, we get Fr-9.98r=0. Solving for F, we get F=9.98N. This is the maximum force that can be applied to the cylinder without causing it to rotate.

However, as a scientist, I would also note that this solution is based on several assumptions and may not accurately represent a real-world scenario. For example, if the cylinder is able to roll, the maximum force to prevent rotation would be different. Additionally, the coefficient of friction may vary depending on the material of the wall and the cylinder. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider all assumptions and parameters when solving a problem like this.

1. What is the maximum force required to prevent a cylinder from rotating?

The maximum force required to prevent a cylinder from rotating is dependent on several factors such as the material, size, and weight of the cylinder, as well as the surface it is resting on. However, it can be calculated by using the formula F = μmg, where μ is the coefficient of static friction, m is the mass of the cylinder, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does the surface affect the maximum force needed to prevent rotation?

The type of surface the cylinder is resting on can greatly affect the maximum force needed to prevent rotation. A rougher surface will have a higher coefficient of static friction, resulting in a higher maximum force needed, whereas a smoother surface will have a lower coefficient of static friction, requiring less force to prevent rotation.

3. Is the maximum force needed to prevent rotation the same for all cylinders?

No, the maximum force needed to prevent rotation can vary greatly depending on the size, weight, and material of the cylinder. For example, a larger and heavier cylinder will require a higher maximum force to prevent rotation compared to a smaller and lighter cylinder.

4. How can the maximum force needed to prevent rotation be increased?

The maximum force needed to prevent rotation can be increased by increasing the coefficient of static friction between the cylinder and the surface it is resting on. This can be achieved by using materials with higher friction coefficients, or by increasing the roughness of the surface.

5. Is there a limit to the maximum force that can be applied to prevent rotation?

Yes, there is a limit to the maximum force that can be applied to prevent rotation. This is known as the maximum torque, which is the product of the maximum force and the radius of the cylinder. If the applied force exceeds the maximum torque, the cylinder will start to rotate.