1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum particle displacement in a sonic boom wave

1. Jan 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A typical sonic boom is a solitary N wave with a peak to peak pressure amplitude of 2 lbf/ft^2 and a wavelength of 50 ft. Find the maximum particle displacement.

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

I've found some equations on the internet. For instance, I have the speed of the wave (u) (that I should then differentiate to get the particle displacement I think...):
    u = p * C0 * rho0
    or
    u = c0 * S
    I can't manage anyhting with these equations and I can't find anything representing the sound wave of the problem on a graph. I can't visualize the problem at all.
    Could anyone give me some tips or explanations on this problem?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2009 #2
  4. Jan 26, 2009 #3
    Thank you for the formula, but this formula includes the Sound frequency and the sound pressure which are not in the problem statement. Is it something I should know or I could find on the internet?

Thank you

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  5. Jan 26, 2009 #4
    Do you know any formula which brings together the velocity of a wave, its wavelength and its frequency?

As for pressure, doesn't the question include this information?

6. Jan 26, 2009 #5
    Sorry about the sound pressure, I wrote that maybe a little too fast.

As for the formula you are talking about is it:

velcity = wavelength * frequency

?

7. Jan 26, 2009 #6
    Yes, that's the one:approve:

8. Jan 26, 2009 #7
    Alright I think everything is working out, I'll just have to check the units as I'm not very familiar with it.

Thank you very much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?