Instantaneous Displacement of a Sound Wave

In summary, the given problem asks for the amplitude, wavelength, and speed of a sinusoidal sound wave described by the displacement wave function s(x,t) = 2.00cos(15.7x - 858t) where s is in micrometers, x is in meters, and t is in seconds. The instantaneous displacement from equilibrium at a specific position and time is given by the function. To find the maximum speed of the element's oscillatory motion, one only needs to know the amplitude. No further calculations are required.
Mtscorpion12

Homework Statement

A sinusoidal sound wave moves through a medium and is described by the displacement wave function s(x,t) = 2.00cos(15.7x - 858t) where s is in micrometers, x is in meters, and t is in seconds. Find a) the amplitude, b) the wavelength, and c) the speed of this wave. D) Determine the instantaneous displacement from equilibrium of the elements of the medium at the position x=0.050 m and t=3.00 ms. E) Determine the maximum speed of the element's oscillatory motion.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already figured out A, B, and C but cannot figure out D or E. I believe D is just to find the derivative and plug in the given X and T, but I do not know how to find the derivative of a three variable function. Also, I believe E just requires setting the derivative equal to 0 and finding when it is a maximum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mtscorpion12 said:
I believe D is just to find the derivative and plug in the given X and T
No need; it asks for the instantaneous displacement. The given function s(x,t) gives you the displacement at every position and every time.

Mtscorpion12 said:
Also, I believe E just requires setting the derivative equal to 0 and finding when it is a maximum.
That would give you the maximum displacement, (not the maximum speed,) but you don't even need to differentiate to find that; it's simply the amplitude.

Clearly I overthought this problem way too much. I got it now.

Thank you very much.

1. What is the definition of instantaneous displacement of a sound wave?

The instantaneous displacement of a sound wave refers to the distance that a particle in a medium moves from its equilibrium position at a specific moment in time due to the propagation of a sound wave.

2. How is the instantaneous displacement of a sound wave measured?

The instantaneous displacement of a sound wave is typically measured in meters (m) or millimeters (mm) using specialized instruments such as a microphone or a laser vibrometer. These instruments record the movement of particles in the medium and convert it into a displacement value.

3. What factors affect the instantaneous displacement of a sound wave?

The instantaneous displacement of a sound wave can be affected by several factors, such as the amplitude of the sound wave, the frequency of the sound wave, the properties of the medium through which the sound wave is traveling, and the distance from the source of the sound.

4. How does the instantaneous displacement of a sound wave relate to its speed?

The instantaneous displacement of a sound wave is directly proportional to its speed. This means that as the speed of the sound wave increases, the instantaneous displacement also increases. This relationship is described by the formula: speed = frequency x wavelength.

5. Can the instantaneous displacement of a sound wave be negative?

Yes, the instantaneous displacement of a sound wave can be both positive and negative. This depends on the direction of particle movement in the medium. If the particle moves towards the source of the sound, the displacement is positive. If the particle moves away from the source, the displacement is negative.