1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum position expectation value for 1D harmonic oscillator

1. Jun 18, 2015 #1
    Hey, I'm stuck halfway through the solution it seems. I could use some tips on how to continue.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to determine a linear combination of the states [itex]|0\rangle, |1\rangle[/itex], of a one dimensional harmonic oscillator, so that the expectation value [itex]\langle x \rangle [/itex] is a maximum.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]x=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}}(a+a^\dagger)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I set [itex]|\alpha \rangle\equiv c_1|1\rangle + c_2|0\rangle[/itex]
    Then I calculate [itex] \langle \alpha | x | \alpha \rangle = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}} (c_1^*\langle1| + c_2^*\langle 0|)(a+a^\dagger)(c_1|1\rangle + c_2|0\rangle)=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}}[c_1^*(c_1+c_2)+c_2^*c_2] = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}}[1+c_1^*c_2][/itex]
    I get the last equation because of the normalization condition:
    [itex] c_1^*c_1+c_2^*c_2=1[/itex]
    This is where I don't know how to continue. Is this even the right approach?
    (I'm not allowed to use the wave functions.)

Anything is appreciated.

Kind regards
    Alex

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2015 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You should recheck your calculation of ##\langle \alpha \lvert x \rvert \alpha \rangle##. The ##c_i^*c_i## terms shouldn't be there.

4. Jun 18, 2015 #3

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As for the maximization problem, the Lagrange multiplier method may be helpful.

5. Jun 18, 2015 #4
    Thanks for the fast reply.
    I've corrected my calculation, is this right?:
    First I calculate [itex](a+a^\dagger)|\alpha\rangle [/itex]
    [itex]a(c_1|1\rangle+c_2|0\rangle)=c_1|0\rangle+0c_2|0\rangle=c_1|0\rangle[/itex]
    and
    [itex]a^\dagger(c_1|1\rangle+c_2|0\rangle)=c_1\sqrt{2}|2\rangle+c_2|1\rangle[/itex]

Then because [itex] |\alpha\rangle^\dagger = c_1^*\langle1|+c_2^*\langle0|[/itex]
    [itex]\langle\alpha|(a+a^\dagger)|\alpha\rangle=c_1^*\langle1|(c_1\sqrt{2}|2\rangle+c_2|1\rangle+c_1|0\rangle)+c_2^*\langle0|(c_1\sqrt{2}|2\rangle+c_2|1\rangle+c_1|0\rangle)= c_1^*c_2+c_2^*c_1[/itex]
    Do I use the lagrange multiplier method here? Or how do I continue?

6. Jun 18, 2015 #5

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Lagrange multiplier is used for finding the maximum value of <x>.

7. Jun 18, 2015 #6
    So It's like a function of 4 variables [itex]f(c_1,c_1^*, c_2,c_2^*)=c_1^*c_2+c_2^*c_1[/itex] which I have to maximize under the condition [itex] c_1^*c_1+c_2^*c_2=1 [/itex]
    Or is there an easier solution?

8. Jun 18, 2015 #7
    Hello! I Have the same exercise in my homework. Using the Lagrange multiplier I get ##c_{1}=c_{2}=1/\sqrt{2}##. Is that right?

9. Jun 18, 2015 #8

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it is.
    Whether it's true or not, you can do some kind of examination. For example, you can write ##\langle \hat{x} \rangle \propto |c_1||c_2| \cos{(\phi_1-\phi_2)}## where the ##\phi##'s are the angle of each coefficients, since we want to maximize our expectation value, it's necessary that ##\phi_1=\phi_2##.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  10. Jun 19, 2015 #9
    Thanks for advise, blue_leaf77. I have made my calculation new.
    I get 4 different sets of values.
    ##c_{1}=c_{2} = i/\sqrt{2}##
    ##c_{1}=c_{2} = -i/\sqrt{2}##
    ##c_{1}=i/\sqrt{2}; c_{2} = -i/\sqrt{2}##
    ##c_{1}=-i/\sqrt{2}; c_{2} = i/\sqrt{2}##

Using your advise how to examine solutions only the first and the second solutions are of interest. I can get this result on another way just inserting values in ##f## and finding a maximum. My question is: how i decide which set is right (the first or the second)?

11. Jun 19, 2015 #10

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well as long as ##\phi_1 = \phi_2## is satisfied, any ##\phi_1## is possible.
    In the original question posted by the OP, he is asked to calculate the maximum of ##\langle \hat{x} \rangle##. In your case, I don't know what you are asked to do in your own homework.

12. Jun 19, 2015 #11
    I have to calculate the maximum of ##\langle \hat{x} \rangle## too

13. Jun 19, 2015 #12

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have this freedom.

14. Jun 19, 2015 #13

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your first solution corresponds to the state
    $$\lvert \alpha_1 \rangle = i\left(\frac {1}{\sqrt{2}} \lvert 0 \rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \lvert 1 \rangle\right) = e^{i\frac {\pi}{2}}\left(\frac {1}{\sqrt{2}} \lvert 0 \rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \lvert 1 \rangle\right),$$ and your second solution to
    $$\lvert \alpha_2 \rangle = -i\left(\frac {1}{\sqrt{2}} \lvert 0 \rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \lvert 1 \rangle\right) = e^{-i\frac {\pi}{2}}\left(\frac {1}{\sqrt{2}} \lvert 0 \rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \lvert 1 \rangle\right).$$ The two states differ only by an overall phase factor, so…

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted