1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum range of an object projected from a height h

1. Sep 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle is projected with an initial speed u from a point at a height h from the horizontal plane. Find the equation for maximum range of the particle.

2. Relevant equations
    R=u^2sin2θ/g

H=(usinθ)^2/2g

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let me assume the angle of projection to be θ. Then the total range of the particle can be given as:
    Rt=u^2sin2θ/g + √(2h/g)*(ucosθ)

For finding the condition for maximum range I will have to differentiate this expression. But, I'm not able to convert this expression in the form of just one variable.Please help.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2013 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

How did you get this? Should there not be a factor of 2 in the denominator of the first term and I think the second term is more complicated.

4. Sep 15, 2013 #3
    First term is the range covered in a normal projectile motion and second term is time taken to fall through a height h multiplied by the horizontal velocity.

5. Sep 15, 2013 #4
    Define "normal projectile motion".

As for the question, start by finding out the time taken to reach the ground or the horizontal plane.

6. Sep 15, 2013 #5

CAF123

Gold Member

Apologies, you are correct in the first term, when I did it I put everything into one expression and overlooked that 2. For the second term though, when the body reaches the same height h above the plane again it has some velocity which is easily found by conservation by energy.
    In your attempt, I think you took the velocity to be zero.

7. Sep 15, 2013 #6
    But, only the horizontal component of the velocity would contribute toward range. That's why I took ucosθ instead of u. My aim is to make the expression in terms of just one variable to differentiate the equation and find the maximum value.

8. Sep 15, 2013 #7

CAF123

Gold Member

Yes, but you have that the time taken for the body to fall the distance h is √(2h/g). This assumes the body was just released a height h above the horizontal plane.

My interpretation is that u and h are known, while θ is the varying parameter. In ths case, you have x= x(θ) and you can find the value of θ that maximises the range.

9. Sep 15, 2013 #8
    Yeah, now I understand my mistake. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted