Maximum range of an object projected from a height h

In summary, the conversation is about finding the equation for the maximum range of a particle projected with an initial speed and height from a horizontal plane. The range can be expressed as a sum of the range in normal projectile motion and the time taken to fall through the given height. The question is then how to find the maximum value of this expression, with the aim of making it a function of only one variable. There is some confusion about the correct expression for the second term, but it is eventually agreed that the horizontal component of the velocity should be used.
rajathjackson

Homework Statement

A particle is projected with an initial speed u from a point at a height h from the horizontal plane. Find the equation for maximum range of the particle.

Homework Equations

R=u^2sin2θ/g

H=(usinθ)^2/2g

The Attempt at a Solution

Let me assume the angle of projection to be θ. Then the total range of the particle can be given as:
Rt=u^2sin2θ/g + √(2h/g)*(ucosθ)

For finding the condition for maximum range I will have to differentiate this expression. But, I'm not able to convert this expression in the form of just one variable.Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
rajathjackson said:

Let me assume the angle of projection to be θ. Then the total range of the particle can be given as:
Rt=u^2sin2θ/g + √(2h/g)*(ucosθ)

How did you get this? Should there not be a factor of 2 in the denominator of the first term and I think the second term is more complicated.

CAF123 said:
How did you get this? Should there not be a factor of 2 in the denominator of the first term and I think the second term is more complicated.

First term is the range covered in a normal projectile motion and second term is time taken to fall through a height h multiplied by the horizontal velocity.

rajathjackson said:
First term is the range covered in a normal projectile motion and second term is time taken to fall through a height h multiplied by the horizontal velocity.

Define "normal projectile motion".

As for the question, start by finding out the time taken to reach the ground or the horizontal plane.

rajathjackson said:

Apologies, you are correct in the first term, when I did it I put everything into one expression and overlooked that 2. For the second term though, when the body reaches the same height h above the plane again it has some velocity which is easily found by conservation by energy.
In your attempt, I think you took the velocity to be zero.

But, only the horizontal component of the velocity would contribute toward range. That's why I took ucosθ instead of u. My aim is to make the expression in terms of just one variable to differentiate the equation and find the maximum value.

rajathjackson said:
But, only the horizontal component of the velocity would contribute toward range. That's why I took ucosθ instead of u.
Yes, but you have that the time taken for the body to fall the distance h is √(2h/g). This assumes the body was just released a height h above the horizontal plane.

My aim is to make the expression in terms of just one variable to differentiate the equation and find the maximum value.
My interpretation is that u and h are known, while θ is the varying parameter. In ths case, you have x= x(θ) and you can find the value of θ that maximises the range.

Yeah, now I understand my mistake. Thanks.

What is the maximum range of an object projected from a given height?

The maximum range of an object projected from a height h can be calculated using the equation R = (v2sin2θ)/g, where R is the maximum range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What factors affect the maximum range of a projected object?

The maximum range of a projected object is affected by the initial velocity, launch angle, and acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also have an impact on the maximum range.

Can the maximum range of a projected object be greater than the height from which it was launched?

Yes, the maximum range of a projected object can be greater than the height from which it was launched. This can occur when the launch angle is not 45 degrees and the initial velocity is high enough.

How can the maximum range of a projected object be increased?

The maximum range of a projected object can be increased by increasing the initial velocity and/or adjusting the launch angle to be closer to 45 degrees. Additionally, reducing air resistance and accounting for wind can also help increase the maximum range.

What is the significance of knowing the maximum range of a projected object?

Understanding the maximum range of a projected object is important for various applications, such as ballistics and sports. It also helps in predicting the trajectory and landing point of the object, which can aid in safety and accuracy.