Maximum reception/transmission criteria for Conical Horn Antennas

In summary, the solver determined the parameters of a conical horn antenna for astronomy application and optimized them. The resulting antenna looked like a pumpkin flower.
tworitdash
TL;DR Summary
I want to get an analogy between nature and the design of an antenna that I got by optimizing it for a minimum return loss.
I have written a solver for my thesis which determines various parameters of a conical horn antenna for astronomy application. It is done with Mode Matching Technique (MMT) and some Rumsey's integrals for the aperture free space transitions. I have made some goal functions with the solver which are used to optimize some parameters of the antenna. One such parameter is the return loss (amount of power reflected because of the flare of the horn). The base of the horn is excited with the fundamental mode ([itex] TE_{11} [/itex]). Due to the flare of the horn, higher-order modes are excited and the fundamental mode also is reflected to some extent. I used a genetic algorithm in MATLAB to optimize it. The input parameters are the geometrical parameters of the antenna. Different conical section radii and the overall length of the antenna.

Finally, with a fitness limit (minimum return loss to be achieved as -45 dB), I got a very nice result for the horn Geometry. It is shown in the figure below. After getting this result, I was surprised by the look of it. It looks like a pumpkin flower that my father grows in our backyard at home.

I know that some antenna array topologies are being designed keeping in mind the structure of the seeds in a sunflower (Fibonacci pattern) to get maximum reception of signals from space. Did I also discover something similar with an analogy to a different flower model? Do these flowers also take the shape like this to have minimum return loss with light energy?

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 12.13.12 AM.png

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I've never checked the VSWR of a pumpkin flower but my guess would be no. Isn't the primary function of flowers to attract insects and animals to help with seed dispersal and pollination?

• Haha
Likes tworitdash and sophiecentaur
Paul Colby said:
I've never checked the VSWR of a pumpkin flower but my guess would be no. Isn't the primary function of flowers to attract insects and animals to help with seed dispersal and pollination?
Horn shaped flowers are a good shape to encourage the insect to carry on to the bottom and not turn round and leave. That's a sort of minimum reflection coefficient?

• Haha
Likes Paul Colby and tworitdash
Paul Colby said:
I started searching about the connection with light but didn't get anything nice. I thought there would be something as in the case of sunflower. I guess it doesn't do much with light. :P

Likes Paul Colby

1. What is the purpose of maximum reception/transmission criteria for conical horn antennas?

The maximum reception/transmission criteria for conical horn antennas is used to determine the optimal design parameters for the antenna in order to achieve the highest possible gain and efficiency. This criteria takes into account factors such as the horn's flare angle, length, and aperture size.

2. How is the maximum reception/transmission criteria calculated?

The maximum reception/transmission criteria is typically calculated using mathematical models and simulations. These models take into account the physical dimensions of the antenna, as well as the operating frequency and desired performance specifications.

3. What are the key design parameters that affect the maximum reception/transmission criteria?

The key design parameters that affect the maximum reception/transmission criteria include the horn's flare angle, length, aperture size, and material properties. These parameters determine the antenna's gain, efficiency, and bandwidth.

4. Why is it important to consider the maximum reception/transmission criteria when designing a conical horn antenna?

The maximum reception/transmission criteria allows for the optimization of the antenna's performance, resulting in higher gain and efficiency. This is especially important in applications where a strong and reliable signal is necessary, such as in satellite communications or radar systems.

5. Can the maximum reception/transmission criteria be applied to other types of antennas?

While the maximum reception/transmission criteria is specifically designed for conical horn antennas, similar principles and calculations can be applied to other types of antennas. However, the specific parameters and equations may differ depending on the antenna's design and purpose.