Maximum speed of a child on a swing rising 0.5 m

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
asddsa
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I don't find this topic too difficult but I am really stuggling on a question (im sure its really simple though)

A child on a swing rises through a height of 0.5m. Ignoring resistive energy losses, calculate the maximum speed of the child (the child doesn't increase/decrease swing height and take g=10m/s/s)

Please could someone tell me the method and the answers you get. (the book says 3.2m/s but i didn't get that)

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
oh, how would you do that ? I thought it was to do with the SHM equations.
 
The speed will be maximal when all of the original potential energy is converted to kinetic energy. The PE is given by mgh. The KE is 0.5mv^2.
You can't use the SHM equations here cause all you have is the height.