How to Find the Angle of a Child on a Swing at Maximum Height

  • Thread starter Thread starter again
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Swing
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
again
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
1. Child on a Swing
This child involves a child swinging on a swing supported by ropes of length 2.5 m. The child's velocity at the bottom of his arc is given as .7 m/s. The goal of the problem is to find the angle between the ropes and the vertical when the child is at his maximum height.


Homework Equations


1/2mVi^2 = mgh
divide through by m ---> 1/2Vi^2 = gh


The Attempt at a Solution


In solving this problem, I was able to find the child's maximum height using the above equation. This I found to be .025 m, however, beyond this point I am at a loss for what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
try to draw a free-body diagram .. and go on from there ..