1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum speed of overdamped oscillator without crossing origin

1. Oct 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An overdamped oscillator with natural frequency w and damping coefficient g starts out at postion x0 > 0. What is the maximum initial speed towards the origin it can have without crossing the origin?

2. Relevant equations
    x(t) for overdamped oscillator

3. The attempt at a solution
    x(t) for a general overdamped oscillator has been solved already. However if I only know x0 > 0 and nothing else, how do I go about determining the maximum speed. I can't see how this problem will workout and I can't get it started. Thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi MeMoses! :smile:
    Just find the answer as a function of xo :wink:

4. Oct 3, 2012 #3
    Edit: My idea made no sense. So how do find this maximum v0?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  5. Oct 3, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

what is your x(t) equation?

6. Oct 3, 2012 #5
    I get x(t) = Ae**((-g-z)t) + Be(-(g-z)t) with z=sqrt(g**2 - w**2). At t=0 I get x0 = A + B

7. Oct 3, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi MeMoses! :wink:
    (hmm … i'm not sure how that's supposed to be read :confused: … but anyway …)

So what is the maximum value of x(t) (presumably at t = ∞) ?

And what is the intitial speed? :smile:

8. Oct 3, 2012 #7
    Sorry i type that from my phone. The lim x(t) as t approaches infinity is 0, it will always go to 0 eventually but how do I know if it crosses the origin or not and how can I find the initial speed using what you told me? Edit: also how can I solve the coefficients?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook