1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum values for differentiation

1. Jul 27, 2009 #1
    maximum values for differentiation :(

have a few problems with these questions, can you help :)

using differentiation, find the maximum value of the following functions?

1. f(x) = -x2 + x
    2. f(x) = lnx - x
    3. f(x) = -x2 + 2x2
    4. f(x) = x2/4 + 4/x
    5. f(x) = xe-2x2
    6. f(x) = sqrt(x - n)/x ; n>0

hope you guys can help !

i thought it was straight forward differentiation but it aint :(

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Re: maximum values for differentiation :(

At a stationary value f'(x)=0. (So find what x equals when f'(x)=0)
    Say at f'(x)=0, x=a
    Then find f''(a) and if f''(a)<0 then the point (x,f(a)) is a maximum.
    If f''(a)>0, then (x,f(a)) is a minimum point.

4. Jul 27, 2009 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

To add to that, you must look at every stationary value. You may find a local maximum but it might not be the only maximum or the maximum of the whole function.

5. Jul 27, 2009 #4

That only finds the absolute max or min if there is only one critical point (a point x where f'(x)=0, what you call stationary value) in an interval. If there are multiple critical points, then this only gives you relative maxs and mins. I think the first thing JakePearson needs to do is to find the domain of each function. Most of them have domain (-∞,∞), but a few of them have specific domains.

Have you looked in your book on how to do this? Most calculus books give very specific instructions on how to find maxs and mins. When you post 6 problems without any posted work or thoughts, it doesn't show much initiative, especially when I know your book contains multiple methods for doing the problems. Can you do 1 or 3 by yourself?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook