Maximum velocity of buoyant object

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the maximum velocity achieved by a plastic ball weighing 16 grams and submerged at a depth of 6 feet. The concept of terminal velocity is introduced, which is reached when the buoyant force equals the viscous drag force. The full dynamic equation is mentioned, along with the assumption of Stokes flow for the drag term. The use of this equation to calculate velocity as a function of depth is suggested, along with the need to assume Stokes flow for each sphere in a chain. A resource for further information on terminal velocity is provided.
ralphamale
I have a plastic ball 2.75" in diameter weighing 16 grams submerged at 6 feet depth. I am trying to determine the maximum velocity achieved when I release the ball? Also, if I tether (30) balls together with fishing line at 1/2" spacing how will that affect velocity? I really appreciate any help and input on this. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Terminal velocity is reached when the buoyant force equals the viscous drag force, which may not occur over the 6 feet. I would start with the full dynamic equation: ma = f_b + f_drag, where f_b is buoyancy and f_d the drag term. Assume Stokes flow for the drag term, and solve for the velocity as a function of depth. You will also have to assume that Stokes flow hold for each sphere in the chain in order to keep this problem easy.

1. What factors affect the maximum velocity of a buoyant object?

The maximum velocity of a buoyant object is affected by several factors, including the density of the fluid it is submerged in, the shape and size of the object, and the buoyancy force acting on it.

2. How is the maximum velocity of a buoyant object calculated?

The maximum velocity of a buoyant object is calculated using the Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force acting on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This can be expressed as Vmax = (2g/ρ)^(1/2), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and ρ is the density of the fluid.

3. Can the maximum velocity of a buoyant object be greater than the velocity of the fluid?

No, the maximum velocity of a buoyant object cannot be greater than the velocity of the fluid it is submerged in. This is because the buoyant force acting on the object will eventually balance out with the drag force, limiting its maximum velocity.

4. How does the shape of a buoyant object affect its maximum velocity?

The shape of a buoyant object can greatly affect its maximum velocity. Objects with streamlined shapes, such as a boat or a submarine, experience less drag and can achieve higher velocities compared to objects with irregular shapes.

5. Is the maximum velocity of a buoyant object affected by the depth of the fluid?

Yes, the depth of the fluid can affect the maximum velocity of a buoyant object. As the depth increases, the pressure on the object also increases, which can impact the buoyancy force and therefore the maximum velocity. Additionally, deeper fluids may have higher densities, which can also affect the maximum velocity.