1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Maximum velocity of charged particles

1. Jan 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle, with a charge +q and a mass, m, is inserted into an evacuated chamber. The chamber is placed between two parallel metal plates that are a distance d apart, and are connectd to the terminals of a power supply that provide V volts (one plate to the positive terminal and one plate to the negative terminal.)

A. What is the maximum velocity that the field could give to the particle when the chamber is constructed so that the sides connecting the plates are insulating?

B. What is the maximum velocity that the field could give to the particle when the chamber is constructed so that the sides connecting the plates are good conductors?

2. Relevant equations

F=k*(q1*q2)/(d^2^)
    [I'm not sure if this is what I need or not?]

3. The attempt at a solution

Would the velocity of the insulating plates be zero, since they don't allow charged particles to move through them?

I could use some help please. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Inside the box made up of metal, there will be no electric field. So the charged particle will not experience any force.
    In the insulated box KE acquired by the charged particle is equal to q*V = 1/2*m*v^2

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook