Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum Vibrations in a material

1. Jul 8, 2013 #1
    Hi,

What is the material which would develop powerful vibration for a sustained period when they are stroked with another material(may be the same or a different material).

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you elaborate? Your post is not making much sense.

4. Jul 8, 2013 #3
    For example, if I strike a copper or silver materials with each other they produce vibrations or even when a string is stretched in a guitar vibrations are produced.

Likewise which material induces maximum vibrations for a sustained period of time?

5. Jul 18, 2013 #4
    In general, any material with small viscoelasticity(low energy losses due to deformation) at given conditions.
    It may be peace of glass, metall, rubber, even water dropplet, depending of what do you need.

6. Jul 18, 2013 #5
    I just want to transfer the vibrations produced from a material to another material. Like for example, I want to sandwich a material in between two vibrating material so that the vibration is transferred or sustained in the material which is placed in the middle.

7. Jul 21, 2013 #6
    For example, there are two blocks connected with the spring/rubber medium. After a shot shake, those blocks stay motionless, but the medium still vibrate for some time. Is this kind of design do you mean?

8. Jul 22, 2013 #7
    I am not exactly sure. But, Assume that the material I want to sustain vibrations is A. A is sandwiched between an another material B. I initiate the process by striking B, so that the vibrations are transferred to A. I do this because when I directly strike A, Vibrations induces is very less and are not sustained. But Material B has good vibration properties.

9. Jul 22, 2013 #8
    B will just increase energy dissipation, thus the perfect material for B is vacuum (an air is also good).
    All you can do is to find best material for A. (superfluid liquid helium is the best, but I suppose is not suitable for your design), pure monocrystals would vibrate longer

10. Jul 28, 2013 #9
    What you suggest is like wanting to make a bell or a guitar string wrapped in cotton sound nicely. I have seen brass and still bells vibrating for a lot of time, say 3-4 min, however, as soon as you touch them for a second with any object, e.g your hand, the vibration is immediately quenched.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook