Maxwell and The distribution of velocities in a gas

In summary: N## is the total number of particles. In order to verify this, you need to carry out the analysis for each interval separately.
Aleoa
In the first volume of his lectures (cap 6-4) Feynman presents Maxwell's distribution of velocities of the molecules in a gas.

I13-23-BoltzmannEq4.jpg
And, referring to the PDF graph he says:

"If we consider the molecules in a typical container (with a volume of, say, one
liter), then there are a very large number N of molecules present (N ≈ [itex]10^{22}[/itex]).
Since p(v) ∆v is the probability that one molecule will have its velocity in ∆v,
by our definition of probability we mean that the expected number <∆N> to be
found with a velocity in the interval ∆v is given by: [itex]<\Delta N>=Np(v)\Delta v[/itex].
[...]
Since with a gas we are usually dealing with large numbers of molecules,
we expect the deviations from the expected numbers to be small (like 1/√N), so
we often neglect to say the “expected” number
"

I have not understand this part, how it's possible to derive this 1/√N deviation ( or a value the gives the idea of what Feynman is saying) ?
Thanks for your support

Attachments

• I13-23-BoltzmannEq4.jpg
    I13-23-BoltzmannEq4.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,473
Physics news on Phys.org
Aleoa said:
I have not understand this part, how it's possible to derive this 1/√N deviation ( or a value the gives the idea of what Feynman is saying) ?
This is the central limit theorem. If you have N identically distributed random variables with mean μ and variance σ2, the average of the variables will approach a normal distribution for large N with mean μ and variance σ2/N. The standard deviation will be [itex] \frac {\sigma}{\sqrt N} [/itex]. The average speed of the molecules is such a set of random variables, but you can also use a variable that is 1 if the speed is in a certain range, and 0 if it is not, and you can use this to calculate the standard deviation for the number of molecules in a certain velocity range,

Likes Aleoa
willem2 said:
This is the central limit theorem. If you have N identically distributed random variables with mean μ and variance σ2, the average of the variables will approach a normal distribution for large N with mean μ and variance σ2/N. The standard deviation will be [itex] \frac {\sigma}{\sqrt N} [/itex]. The average speed of the molecules is such a set of random variables, but you can also use a variable that is 1 if the speed is in a certain range, and 0 if it is not, and you can use this to calculate the standard deviation for the number of molecules in a certain velocity range,

I'm not able to understand which is , in this case, the average random variable that is subjected to CLT ...
How does the bold phrase in the main post concern to the distribution of sample mean ?

Last edited:
I think there's a step missed out (assumed), and a slight error. If the probability of a single molecule having a velocity in the range v → v + Δv is p(v)Δv, then for N molecules, the number with a velocity in that range follows a binomial distribution, with a mean (expectation value) of Np(v)Δv and a variance of Np(v)Δv(1-p(v)Δv), which is approximately Np(v)Δv if p(v)Δv << 1. So the standard deviation is √(Np(v)Δv); note that this increases as √N (the error in the statement above). The fraction of molecules with velocities in the range Δv has an expectation value Np(v)Δv/N = p(v)Δv, and a standard deviation of √(p(v)Δv/N). This is the "deviation that goes like 1/√N".

Aleoa said:
I'm not able to understand which is , in this case, the average random variable that is subjected to CLT ...
Assume each of ##N## particles has a independent probability of ##p(v_1) dv## of having (at a given time) its velocity in ##I_1## and probability of ##1 - p(v_1)dv## of having its velocity in some other interval. Whether a particle has a velocity in ##I## is a Bernoulli random variable with probability of success equal to ##p(v_1)dv##.

The number of particles (at a given time) that have their velocities in ##I_1## is a binomial random variable ##B_1## . The random variable ##B_1## is the sum of ##N## identical independent Bernoulli random variables.

Feynman's remark says that (at a given time) the number of particles that have their velocities in ##I_1## has a high probability of being close to the mean of ##B_1##, which is ##N p(v_1) dv##.

There are some technicalities to consider.

1. Does "close" mean close in the absolute sense - e.g. within plus or minus 2? Or does "close" mean in the sense of a percentage - e.g. within plus or minus 2% of ##N##?

2. The analysis for one interval ##I_1## is a not joint result about what happens for two different intervals ##I_1,I_2##. Whether a particle has a velocity in ##I_1## is not independent of whether it has a velocity in ##I_2##.
Feynman's claim is that (jointly) for each interval ##I_j## the number of particles with velocities in that interval has a high probability of being ##Np(v_j) dv##.

Of course, physicists don't always worry about mathematical technicalities!

Last edited:

What is Maxwell's distribution of velocities in a gas?

Maxwell's distribution of velocities in a gas is a probability distribution that describes the range of velocities of particles in a gas at a given temperature. It is based on the kinetic theory of gases and is named after the scientist James Clerk Maxwell.

How does temperature affect the distribution of velocities in a gas?

As temperature increases, the distribution of velocities in a gas shifts towards higher velocities. This is because higher temperatures correspond to greater kinetic energy of the gas particles, leading to faster and more frequent collisions.

What is the most probable speed in Maxwell's distribution?

The most probable speed in Maxwell's distribution is the speed at which the majority of gas particles are moving. It is represented by the peak of the distribution curve and is directly proportional to the square root of the temperature.

What factors can influence the shape of the distribution of velocities in a gas?

Aside from temperature, the shape of the distribution of velocities in a gas can also be affected by the mass of the gas particles, the size of the container, and the presence of external forces such as gravity or electric fields.

How is Maxwell's distribution of velocities in a gas related to the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas, is derived from Maxwell's distribution of velocities. This is because the average speed of gas particles (represented by the root-mean-square speed) is directly related to temperature, which is a key component of the ideal gas law.