Adiabatic compression of piston and finding the velocity ratio of gas

litmusgod
TL;DR Summary
I am solving a problem related in finding the velocity ratio of gas molecules just after and before piston during adiabatic compression.
High pressure Gas is pumped from a vessel to a chamber consisting of piston and other side diaphragm is placed which will break at certain pressure .I was trying to find the velocity ratio of gas molecules after and before piston during compression and in different scenarios like Air -Air , Helium -Helium and Helium - Air respectively in vessel and chamber .
But when I solved, Air-Air is coming with highest velocity ratio than the others, which cannot be possible as helium - air and helium- helium is supposed to be faster.
I will attach the picture of the formula i used . It's work equation . So basically during equilibrium state the pressure acting on both side will be equal so i considered as equal work . From there i calculated it .
1000054947-01.jpeg

F is the force acting on piston
N is the number of the molecules of the gas enclosed in the cylinder.
m - mass of gas
c - velocity of molecules at temp T
v - velocity of the movement of piston
N is calculated using PV/RT with temperature as 298K

Attachments

• 16969319241773899259657168218982.jpg
    16969319241773899259657168218982.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 30

1. How does adiabatic compression of a piston affect gas velocity?

Adiabatic compression of a piston increases the pressure and temperature of the gas inside the cylinder, causing the gas molecules to move faster and thus increasing the velocity of the gas.

2. What is the formula for calculating the velocity ratio of gas in adiabatic compression?

The formula for calculating the velocity ratio of gas in adiabatic compression is V2/V1 = √(T2/T1), where V2 is the final velocity, V1 is the initial velocity, T2 is the final temperature, and T1 is the initial temperature.

3. How does the temperature change during adiabatic compression affect the velocity ratio of gas?

As the temperature increases during adiabatic compression, the velocity ratio of gas also increases, since the velocity is directly proportional to the square root of the temperature in adiabatic processes.

4. What are the assumptions made in calculating the velocity ratio of gas in adiabatic compression?

The assumptions made in calculating the velocity ratio of gas in adiabatic compression include the gas being ideal, the process being adiabatic (no heat exchange with the surroundings), and the compression being reversible.

5. How can the velocity ratio of gas in adiabatic compression be experimentally determined?

The velocity ratio of gas in adiabatic compression can be experimentally determined by measuring the initial and final temperatures and velocities of the gas, and then using the formula V2/V1 = √(T2/T1) to calculate the velocity ratio.