Maxwell Equations and Fourier Expansions

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Fourier expansions to represent the field E(r,t) and other fields, and the need to show the derivation of kXE(k,w)=wB(k,w) from Faraday's law and kXH(k,w)=-wD(k,w) from Ampere's law. The attempt at a solution involves evaluating curlE and comparing it to the definition of cross product, but the correct approach is to make partial derivations of the Fourier integral by directly differentiating the integrand.
JTPF

Homework Statement

The field E(r,t) can be written as a Fourier expansion of plane waves [tex]E(r,t)=∫E(k,w)e^{i(kr-wt)}d^{3}kdw[/tex] with similar expansions for other fields.

Need to show the derivation of [tex]kXE(k,w)=wB(k,w)[/tex] from Faraday's law [tex]∇XE(r,t)=-∂B(r,t)/∂t[/tex] and also the derivation of [tex]kXH(k,w)=-wD(k,w)[/tex] from Ampere's law [tex]∇XH(r,t)=∂D(r,t)/∂t[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]∫e^{ax}=(1/a)e^{ax}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the Fourier expansion expression for E meant to integrate with once with respect to w and three times with respect to k, so get:

[tex]∫E(k,w)e^{i(kr-wt)}d^{3}kdw = (1/r)x(1/r)x(1/r)x(-1/t)e^{i(kr-wt)}=(-1/r^{3}t)e^{i(kr-wt)}[/tex]

But that clearly doesn't give the result, no k or w there at all... what am I doing wrong? I get this isn't tricky but can't figure it out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just try to evaluate curlE : (curlE)i = εijkjEk and compare the result with the definition of cross product : (A×B)i = εijkΑjBk. You don't have to try to evaluate the Fourier integral; actually you can't, since E(k,w) is unknown (if known, then the field E(r,t) would also be known). Make the partial derivations of the Fourier integral by derivating directly the integrand.

I still don't get how to do this :frown:

So I should take [tex](∇E)i = ε_{ijk}∂_{j}E_{k}[/tex] and compare the result with the definition of cross product [tex](A×B)i = ε_{ijk}Α_{j}B_{k}[/tex]?

So [tex](∇E) = ∂_{j}E_{k} = A_{j}B_{k}=AXB=kXE[/tex]?

1. What are Maxwell's equations and why are they important?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They are important because they provide a complete description of electromagnetism and have been used to develop many technological advancements, such as radios and cell phones.

2. What is the significance of the Gauss's Law in Maxwell's equations?

Gauss's Law is one of the four equations in Maxwell's equations and it describes the relationship between the electric field and the distribution of electric charges. It states that the net electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the total charge enclosed by that surface. This law is important because it helps us understand how electric charges create electric fields and how these fields interact with each other.

3. What is the role of Faraday's Law in Maxwell's equations?

Faraday's Law is another one of Maxwell's equations and it describes the relationship between a changing magnetic field and an induced electric field. It states that the induced electric field is proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field. This law is important because it explains how electric currents can be generated by changing magnetic fields, which is the basis for many electrical devices.

4. How do Fourier expansions relate to Maxwell's equations?

Fourier expansions are mathematical techniques used to break down complicated functions into simpler components. In the context of Maxwell's equations, Fourier expansions are used to represent electromagnetic fields in terms of their frequency components. This allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of these fields in different situations.

5. What are some practical applications of Maxwell's equations and Fourier expansions?

Maxwell's equations and Fourier expansions have numerous practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and telecommunications. They are used to design and analyze electrical circuits, develop new technologies such as wireless communication systems, and understand the behavior of light and other electromagnetic waves. These equations also play a crucial role in fields such as medical imaging, radar systems, and satellite communication.