Maxwell equations and wave equation in a medium

In summary, the electric field in an isotropic medium with constant conductivity is described by the damped wave equation.
ModusPwnd

Homework Statement

Consider an isotropic medium with constant conductivity [itex]\sigma[/itex]. There is no free charge present, that is, [itex]\rho = 0[/itex].

a)What are the appropriate Maxwell equations for this medium?

b)Derive the damped wave equation for the electric field in the medium. Assume Ohm's law is of the form [itex]\vec{J}=\sigma\vec{E}[/itex].

Homework Equations

Maxwell equations and the curl

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
Maxwell equaitons with [itex]\rho_f=0[/itex] and [itex] \vec{J}=\frac{\vec{E}}{\rho}[/itex].

[tex]
\nabla \cdot \vec{D} = 0

[/tex]
[tex]

\nabla \times \vec{E} = - \frac{\partial \vec{B}}{\partial t}
[/tex]
[tex]
\nabla \cdot \vec{B} = 0
[/tex]
[tex]
\nabla \times \vec{H} = \sigma \vec{E} + \epsilon_0 \mu_0 \frac{\partial \vec{D}}{\partial t}
[/tex]

Its simply a matter of putting a [itex] \sigma \vec{E} [/itex] in place of the displacement current [itex] \vec{J} [/itex] right? hmmm...

b)
Here I am a little confused. I take the curl of the curl of [itex]\vec{E}[/itex],

[tex] \nabla \times (\nabla \times \vec{E}) = \nabla(\nabla \cdot \vec{E}) - \nabla^2 \vec{E} = -\nabla^2 \vec{E} = \nabla \times (-\frac{\partial \vec{B}}{\partial t}) = -\frac{\partial}{\partial t} (\nabla \times \vec{B}) [/tex]

Now here I am not sure if I am correct in assuming that [itex] \nabla \cdot \vec{E} = 0 [/itex] and I'm not sure what [itex] \nabla \times \vec{B} [/itex] in this case, since its not in fee space...

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
First thing you do is assume sinusoids. It's pretty near impossible otherwise. So start with the equations for E and H assuming a sinusoidal plane wave. Use the exponetial form E = E0exp(jwt) and H = H0exp(jwt) if you're an engineer or substitute i for j if you're a physicist. :-)

Wind up eliminating H, and get a partial differential equation for E. Solve it.

Im not trying to solve the wave equation, I am trying to derive it.

The fourth equation is correctly [itex]\nabla \times \vec{H} = \sigma \vec{E} +\frac{\partial \vec{D}}{\partial t} [/itex]

and use also the "material equations" [itex]\vec{D}=\epsilon \vec{E}[/itex], [itex]\vec{B}=\mu\vec{H}[/itex]

ehild

Can I get [itex] \mu [/itex] and [itex] \epsilon [/itex] from the conductivity I am given?

No, they are also characteristics of the medium.

ehild

bleh, so the question does not provide enough for an answer? My profs. really suck at writing questions, this is not the first time this has happened...

You have the appropriate Maxwell equations, and can write the damped wave equation replacing B=μH and D=εE. ε and μ are constants.

ehild

1. What are Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of fundamental equations in electromagnetism that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in space. They were first proposed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are crucial for understanding the principles of electricity and magnetism.

2. What is the wave equation in a medium?

The wave equation in a medium is a mathematical equation that describes the propagation of waves through a medium, such as a solid, liquid, or gas. It is a second-order partial differential equation that relates the spatial and temporal variations of a wave, and it is used to model a wide range of phenomena, from sound and light waves to seismic waves.

3. How do Maxwell's equations and the wave equation relate to each other?

The wave equation in a medium is a direct consequence of Maxwell's equations. In fact, the wave equation can be derived from Maxwell's equations by applying the principles of electromagnetism and using mathematical techniques such as vector calculus.

4. What is the role of a medium in Maxwell's equations and the wave equation?

A medium is essential for the propagation of waves and the behavior of electric and magnetic fields described by Maxwell's equations. In the context of the wave equation, the properties of the medium, such as its density and elasticity, determine the speed and characteristics of the wave. In Maxwell's equations, the medium plays a crucial role in determining the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields.

5. How are Maxwell's equations and the wave equation used in practical applications?

Maxwell's equations and the wave equation have numerous applications in various fields, including telecommunications, electronics, and optics. They are used to design and analyze electromagnetic devices, such as antennas, circuits, and optical components. They are also used in medical imaging techniques, such as MRI, and in geophysical exploration methods, such as seismology.