MCNP output file interpretation

In summary: I'm not sure what that loss to fission parameter is. Check your MCNP manual under the section for tallys. I believe there is a specific tally for power or power density (f or fm or something).
kir
I am running (a very basic) simulation of the proposed LIFE concept reactor at LLNL as part of my MSc thesis. What I hope to achieve is to calculate the fission energy gain from a fissile blanket surrounding a source of fusion neutrons (ie D-T pellet blasted by lasers)

The problem summary table in the output lists the neutron creation and neutron losses due to various interactions. My question is whether it is correct to take the 'loss to fission' as an indicator of how many fissions occur in the system, and if so would the loss to fission weight per source particle be the correct value to use in calculating the total fission energy gain?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what that loss to fission parameter is. Check your MCNP manual under the section for tallys. I believe there is a specific tally for power or power density (f or fm or something).

Dear Kir
If you solved your problem please enlighten me also.
Best wishes

"Loss to fission weight" gives the number of fissions, however one should be careful with normalization. Also, be sure that you use the correct value of average energy per fission for your system - it can be tricky in some cases.

kir said:
I am running (a very basic) simulation of the proposed LIFE concept reactor at LLNL as part of my MSc thesis. What I hope to achieve is to calculate the fission energy gain from a fissile blanket surrounding a source of fusion neutrons (ie D-T pellet blasted by lasers)

The problem summary table in the output lists the neutron creation and neutron losses due to various interactions. My question is whether it is correct to take the 'loss to fission' as an indicator of how many fissions occur in the system, and if so would the loss to fission weight per source particle be the correct value to use in calculating the total fission energy gain?

Last edited by a moderator:

I would first like to commend you on your MSc thesis topic, as it is a highly relevant and important area of research in the field of nuclear energy. To answer your question, it is generally correct to consider the "loss to fission" as an indicator of the number of fissions occurring in the system. However, it is important to keep in mind that the MCNP output file is a simulation and may not perfectly reflect the real-world conditions of your proposed reactor. Additionally, the "loss to fission" value is not the only factor to consider when calculating the total fission energy gain. Other parameters such as the neutron flux and cross-sections also play a significant role in this calculation. I would suggest consulting with your advisor or a nuclear physicist to ensure the accuracy of your calculations and to fully understand the implications of the MCNP output file in relation to your proposed reactor design.

1. What is an MCNP output file?

An MCNP output file is a data file generated by the Monte Carlo N-Particle (MCNP) computer code. It contains information about the results of a Monte Carlo simulation, such as particle interactions, energy deposition, and other quantities of interest.

2. How do I interpret the information in an MCNP output file?

The interpretation of an MCNP output file depends on the specific goals of the simulation and the parameters that were used. Generally, the file can be read using a text editor or specialized software, and the results can be analyzed and visualized using various tools and techniques.

3. What are some common quantities reported in an MCNP output file?

Some common quantities reported in an MCNP output file include neutron flux, photon flux, energy deposition, and material activation. These quantities can provide valuable information about the behavior of particles and materials in a simulated system.

4. What are some challenges in interpreting MCNP output files?

Interpreting MCNP output files can be challenging due to the complexity of the data and the need for specialized knowledge and software. Additionally, the accuracy and reliability of the results depend on various factors, such as the simulation parameters and the quality of the input data.

5. How can I improve my understanding of MCNP output file interpretation?

To improve your understanding of MCNP output file interpretation, it is recommended to familiarize yourself with the MCNP code and its capabilities, as well as to study the relevant physics and mathematics. Additionally, seeking guidance from experienced researchers and practicing with different simulation scenarios can also help improve your skills.