Down-scaled nuclear pulse propulsion

In summary: That's definitely something I need to consider.In summary, the author discusses various concepts for how to reduce the amount of fissile material needed for a nuclear explosion without reducing the energy output per unit weight of fissile material. He finds that laser ablation, railgun collisions, and using a small amount of antiprotons to cause the nucleus to release a massive burst of neutrons are the most promising concepts, but does not know how to calculate the parameters necessary for these schemes.
vemvare
A smaller ”boom”

I'm currently writing a science fiction novel, and while I'm certainly no physicist, I still aim to minimize the use of handwave devices built from unobtainium. It appears that the only propulsion system realizable with technology in use today or in the near future which combines high specific impulse with high thrust is nuclear pulse propulsion as proposed in the Orion project of the 1960s. The problem of course is, as it utilizes nuclear bombs, and each has a yield of several kilotons, the spacecraft would have to be humongous. The only way to adapt nuclear pulse propulsion to smaller scale craft seems to be to either reduce the yield of the individual bombs, or detonate said bomb farther away from the ship. Both methods would mean that most of the expensive fissile material goes to waste. The critical mass as I understand it can only at best be reduced to about a half, using compression by high explosives and a mantle of neutron reflectors, and if anything this seems to increase the efficiency of the bomb.

So, how can the amount of fissile material needed for each nuclear explosion be reduced without reducing the energy output per unit weight of fissile material? These all have in common that they require substantial “infrastructure” to be present in order to detonate the charge, which makes such a setup utterly useless as a weapon. This is NOT a “help me build a bomb” thread, which I know is prohibited.

As I've researched, I have come across the following schemes to solve this problem:

A.
Using lasers to ablate an outer mantle, much like the explosive lenses surrounding an implosion type bomb, but by higher energies causing much greater pressures, reducing the critical mass by increased density.

B.
Using railguns or some similar setup to collide two subcritical masses, thereby achieving immense pressures by relative velocities of 10-20km/s.

C.
Using a small amount of antiprotons to cause nucleus to release a massive burst of neutrons, causing the device to go supercritical. As in the ICAN-II study by Penn state university.

D.
Surrounding a fusion target, such as those used by the national ignition facility (NIF) with a blanket of U-238, which would be split by the fast neutrons released by the fusion reaction, greatly increasing the energy output.

As theoretical concepts I find them understandable, but how can these parameters be calculated? I feel I'm in way, way over my head here! How does pressure affect density in solids? How can the peak pressure of colliding bodies at a given velocity be calculated? How will a sudden flux of “x” neutrons affect criticality?

I am in dire need of your help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://www.andrews-space.com/images/videos/PAPERS/Pub-MiniMagOrion%28200307%29.pdf

http://www.andrews-space.com/images/files/MMO paper.doc

This seems to be what I was looking for. I had no idea magnetic compression could compress materials to such densities, tungsten compressed to 14 times normal density!

Last edited by a moderator:

First of all, I want to commend you for your dedication to scientific accuracy in your writing. It's always refreshing to see authors take the time to research and understand the technology they include in their stories.

Regarding your question about reducing the amount of fissile material needed for nuclear pulse propulsion, I think the key here is to look at alternative methods of achieving high pressures. In addition to the options you mentioned, there are also ideas such as using magnetic fields to compress the fissile material, or using lasers to create a plasma shock wave that can initiate fusion reactions.

As for calculating the parameters for these methods, you will likely need to consult with experts in the field of nuclear physics and fusion energy. They will be able to provide you with more specific equations and calculations related to pressure, density, and criticality.

One thing to keep in mind is that even with these alternative methods, there will still be a significant amount of infrastructure and equipment needed to initiate and control the nuclear reactions. So while it may not be as simple as just detonating a bomb, it will still require a fair amount of resources and technology.

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with your novel!

1. What is down-scaled nuclear pulse propulsion?

Down-scaled nuclear pulse propulsion is a theoretical method of spacecraft propulsion that utilizes nuclear explosions to generate thrust. It involves detonating a series of small nuclear bombs behind a spacecraft, which would then be propelled forward by the force of the explosions.

2. How does down-scaled nuclear pulse propulsion work?

The concept behind down-scaled nuclear pulse propulsion is based on Newton's third law of motion, which states that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. By detonating nuclear bombs behind a spacecraft, the explosions would push against a large pusher plate attached to the spacecraft, propelling it forward.

3. What are the potential advantages of down-scaled nuclear pulse propulsion?

One of the main advantages of down-scaled nuclear pulse propulsion is its potential for achieving very high speeds, as the nuclear explosions would provide much more thrust than traditional chemical rockets. It could also significantly reduce travel time for deep space missions.

4. Are there any risks associated with down-scaled nuclear pulse propulsion?

Yes, there are several risks associated with down-scaled nuclear pulse propulsion. These include the potential for radioactive fallout from the nuclear explosions, as well as the risk of nuclear weapons falling into the wrong hands if this technology were to be used for military purposes.

5. Is down-scaled nuclear pulse propulsion currently being used for space travel?

No, down-scaled nuclear pulse propulsion is still a theoretical concept and has not yet been tested or used for space travel. However, some research and experiments have been conducted on a smaller scale to explore the feasibility of this technology.