1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean energy of system with ## E = \alpha |x|^n ##

1. Apr 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the energy ##E## of a system behaves like ## E = \alpha |x|^n##, where ## n =1, 2, 3, \dots ## and ## \alpha > 0##, show that ## \langle E \rangle = \xi k_B T ##, where ##\xi## is a numerical constant.

2. Relevant equations
    $$ \langle E \rangle = \frac{ \int_{- \infty}^{ \infty} Ee^{-\beta E}}{\int_{-\infty}^{ \infty} e^{-\beta E}},$$ where ## \beta = \frac{1}{k_BT}.##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the integral is even, it can be written as $$\frac{ \int_{0}^{ \infty} \alpha x^n e^{-\beta \alpha x^n}}{\int_{0}^{ \infty} e^{-\beta \alpha x^n}},$$

It can also be written as

$$ \frac{ \frac{ \partial}{ \partial \beta} \left ( \int_{0}^{ \infty} - e^{-\beta \alpha x^n} \right ) } {\int_{0}^{ \infty} e^{-\beta \alpha x^n}}$$

where the partial derivative was taken outside the integral.

I have no idea how to solve the integral. Mathematica didn't draw up anything useful.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2015 #2
    Have you tried a change of variable e.g. y=xn?

4. Apr 21, 2015 #3
    I think I did try it, but it didn't look like it could result in anything useful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted