An Easy QM normalisation question

In summary: I was looking for! So now I know that the beta is real and I can continue with my problem.In summary, the student is trying to solve a homework problem for a class they are not attending, and has difficulty understanding the instructions. They are unsure if their method is correct, and need help with the problem.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

Given a wave function psi, [itex]\psi (x) = A \sqrt{|x|} e^{- \beta x^2} [/itex] where [itex]\beta[/itex] is a constant (take the positive square root) . Normalise the wave function and hence find A.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my first attempt at a problem like this, and I have missed around a 1/3 of the lectures on this this semester due to being ill.

Where it says that beta is a constant, I assumed that mean real, but even if its imaginary I still can't do it.

First if it is real then
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |\psi|^2 \> dx= 1 \\
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |A|^2 |x| e^{- 2 \beta x^2} \> dx = 1 \\
|A|^2 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |x| e^{- 2 \beta x^2} \> dx = 1
[/tex]
But in a formula book we were given it says that that integral equals 0 , so I tried if it was complex then
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |A|^2 |x| e^{- \beta x^2} e^{ \beta x^2} \> dx = 1 \\
|A|^2 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |x| \> dx = 1
[/tex]
Then how do I proceed from there, as surely [itex][\frac{1}{2}|x|^2]_{-\infty}^{\infty}[/itex] is just infinite?

I don't even know if if my method for the two cases is even correct. Please any help/advice is much appreciated, I have been looking at this problem for the past 3 hours, looking at the lecture notes, and online and I am really lost!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please check again the region within which the state [itex]\psi (x) = A \sqrt{|x|} e^{- \beta x} [/itex] is defined because this expression goes to infinity for ##x## approacing ##-\infty##.

blue_leaf77 said:
Please check again the region within which the state [itex]\psi (x) = A \sqrt{|x|} e^{- \beta x} [/itex] is defined because this expression goes to infinity for ##x## approacing ##-\infty##.

It does not say.

The question has four parts, A,B,C,D. The above is part A, and I have written it out exactly as it comes. There are no preceding questions.

Part B asks us to sketch the normlised wavefunction and the probability distribution
Part C asks us to indicate on our sketch where the particle is most likely to be found and to find the expectation value [itex]<x>/[itex] of position.
Part D asks us what the probability of finding the particle in the region 0<x<infinity is

Last edited:
blue_leaf77 said:
Sorry there was a typo, it is [itex]\psi (x) = A \sqrt{|x|} e^{- \beta x^2} [/itex] with the x in the exponential squared. But there are still no regions given. Apart from that typo (that was carried through my latex) the question is as I have stated. I doubt that typo fixes the the issue you were concerned with though.

FaraDazed said:
First if it is real then
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |A|^2 |x| e^{- 2 \beta x^2} \> dx = 1 \\
|A|^2 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |x| e^{- 2 \beta x^2} \> dx = 1
[/tex]
But in a formula book we were given it says that that integral equals 0
As the function is positive, the integral can't be 0. I think the formula in the book didn't have ##|x|## in it, but ##x##.
You should be able to evaluate that integral, and see for which real ##\beta## you get a finite value.

Last edited:
Samy_A said:
You should be able to evaluate that integral, and see for which real ##\beta## you get a finite value.
How do I do that? Do I have to use integration by parts, and then plug +/- infinity in as the limits?

I see, so you missed the square on the exponent. In that case, the wavefunction and its modulus square are even functions and you can evaluate the integral only in the half of the coordinate, e.g. from 0 to ##\infty## and multiply the result with 2 to get the actual value.

Likes FaraDazed
Use the fact that the integrand is an even function to say
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \lvert x \rvert e^{-2 \beta x^2}\,dx = 2\int_0^\infty \lvert x \rvert e^{-2 \beta x^2}\,dx = 2\int_0^\infty x e^{-2 \beta x^2}\,dx.$$ You don't want to use integration by parts. You can try it, of course, but you'll quickly run into problems. This integral can be easily evaluated using a simple substitution.

Likes FaraDazed
blue_leaf77 said:
I see, so you missed the square on the exponent. In that case, the wavefunction and its modulus square are even functions and you can evaluate the integral only in the half of the coordinate, e.g. from 0 to ##\infty## and multiply the result to get the actual value.
vela said:
Use the fact that the integrand is an even function to say
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \lvert x \rvert e^{-2 \beta x^2}\,dx = 2\int_0^\infty \lvert x \rvert e^{-2 \beta x^2}\,dx = 2\int_0^\infty x e^{-2 \beta x^2}\,dx.$$ You don't want to use integration by parts. You can try it, of course, but you'll quickly run into problems. This integral can be easily evaluated using a simple substitution.
Thanks for the help, so this is what I have done now...

[itex]
|A|^2 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |x| e^{- 2 \beta x^2} \> dx \\
2|A|^2 \int_{0}^{\infty} |x| e^{- 2 \beta x^2} \> dx \\
[/itex]

Then just looking at the integrand [itex]\int_{0}^{\infty} |x| e^{- 2 \beta x^2} \> dx [/itex]
Let u = [itex]-2 \beta x^2[/itex] so that [itex]dx = \frac{du}{-4 \beta x}[/itex]
[itex]
\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{|x|}{e^{u}} \> \frac{du}{-4 \beta x} \\
-\frac{1}{4 \beta} \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{u} du = -\frac{1}{4 \beta} [e^{- 2 \beta x^2}]_0^{\infty} \\
= -\frac{1}{4 \beta} \cdot (-1) = \frac{1}{4 \beta}
[/itex]

Because [itex] [e^{- 2 \beta x^2}]_0^{\infty} [/itex] surely equals (0)-(1) right ? If so, then...

[itex]
2|A|^2 \int_{0}^{\infty} |x| e^{- 2 \beta x^2} \> dx = 1 \\
\frac{2|A|^2}{4 \beta} = 1 \\
|A| = \sqrt{2 |\beta|}
[/itex]

So therefore the normalised wavefunction is [itex]\psi (x) =\sqrt{2 |\beta| |x|} e^{-2 \beta x^2} [/itex]

Last edited:
You are lucky to get the final answer correct even though you messed up when calculating
FaraDazed said:
Let u = [itex]-2 \beta x^2[/itex] so that [itex]dx = \frac{du}{-4 \beta x}[/itex]
[itex]
\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{|x|}{e^{u}} \> \frac{du}{-4 \beta x} \\
-\frac{1}{4 \beta} \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-u} du = -\frac{1}{4 \beta} [e^{- 2 \beta x^2}]_0^{\infty} \\
= -\frac{1}{4 \beta} \cdot (-1) = \frac{1}{4 \beta}
[/itex]
Because you have defined that ##u = -2 \beta x^2## yet you still wrote ##e^{-u}## in the integrand.

blue_leaf77 said:
You are lucky to get the final answer correct even though you messed up when calculating

Because you have defined that ##u = -2 \beta x^2## yet you still wrote ##e^{-u}## in the integrand.
Oh yeah, that was just a typo, it was obviously meant to just be [itex]\int_{0}^{\infty} e^u du[/itex]. So its not luck as on paper when working it out I did it with just the integral of e^u. But thanks for clarifying that it is correct, thanks!

FaraDazed said:
Oh yeah, that was just a typo, it was obviously meant to just be [itex]\int_{0}^{\infty} e^u du[/itex]. So its not luck as on paper when working it out I did it with just the integral of e^u. But thanks for clarifying that it is correct, thanks!
That integral diverges. You need to get the signs right.

vela said:
That integral diverges. You need to get the signs right.
Im confused. Which bit has the sign error? Does [itex][e^{- 2 \beta x^2}]_0^{\infty}[/itex] = -1? As [itex]e^{-\infty}[/itex] surely is 0? and e^0=1? Or is it somewhere else? This is one of (if not the) first problem I have had with integrals with infinity's as limits, so I really am not trying to be obtuse. I am just a bit clueless with this stuff at the mo after missing so many lectures.

The integral from ##u=0## to ##u=\infty## of ##e^u## diverges. The exponential grows without bound. Either fix the limits or fix the integrand.

vela said:
The integral from ##u=0## to ##u=\infty## of ##e^u## diverges. The exponential grows without bound. Either fix the limits or fix the integrand.
Ah, I see (I think)

So should I have set [itex]u=2 \beta x^2[/itex] to get ##\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-u} du ## ? But surely then it would be ##-\frac{1}{4 \beta}## making ##|A|## complex? or is that correct? Or is that what the question meant by taking the positive square root?

1. What is QM normalisation?

QM normalisation is a mathematical process used in quantum mechanics to ensure that the total probability of all possible outcomes of a quantum system is equal to 1. It is a way of standardizing the probabilities in order to make accurate predictions about the behavior of the system.

2. How is QM normalisation calculated?

The QM normalisation constant, or the norm, is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squared absolute values of all possible outcomes in a quantum system. This ensures that the probabilities of all outcomes add up to 1, representing 100% probability.

3. Why is QM normalisation important?

QM normalisation is important because it allows us to make accurate predictions about the behavior of quantum systems. Without normalisation, the probabilities of all possible outcomes would not add up to 1, making it impossible to make meaningful predictions about the system.

4. Are there any limitations to QM normalisation?

Yes, there are limitations to QM normalisation. It assumes that the quantum system is in a pure state, meaning that it is in one of its possible states with 100% certainty. In reality, many quantum systems are in a mixed state, meaning that they are a combination of multiple possible states with varying probabilities.

5. How is QM normalisation related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. QM normalisation is related to this principle because it ensures that the probabilities of all possible outcomes add up to 1, meaning that there is always some level of uncertainty in the behavior of a quantum system.