Mean Value property (harmonic functions) with a source?

In summary, when dealing with the heat equation and a non-zero heat source, the mean value property for harmonic functions does not hold. This is because the function is no longer harmonic and the average of the function over the boundary no longer equals the function at the center point.
Kidphysics
Mean Value property (harmonic functions) with a source??

Homework Statement

I understand that the heat equation may yield ∂u/∂t=0 on the LHS and on the RHS we may still have Uxx+Q where Uxx is partial with respect to x twice and Q is a heat source. U in our case may be the temperature function.

Now my teacher introduces the mean value property for harmonic functions and I ask, when there is a heat source the mean value property breaks down, is this because our RHS is not a harmonic function or am I wrong in assuming the property doesn't still hold. My reasoning is that if we take a cross section of let's say a cylinder with a wire (sourse) going through the middle and we take a point close to the source, create a ball around it, then due to the conservation of energy we will find that the point has a temperature hotter than the average temperature along the boundary of the ball we created.

Much input is needed/appreciated as my teacher wasn't able to address my question.

Homework Equations

1.4 Mean-Value Property: If u is harmonic on B(a,r), then u equals the average of u over ∂B(a,r).

The Attempt at a Solution

Hours of thinking

Physics news on Phys.org

Nothing wrong with your thinking. If a function is harmonic then Uxx=0. If your equation is Uxx+Q=0 and Q is nonzero then you have a heat source and U is no longer harmonic. So the mean value property no longer applies. U is harmonic only where Q=0.

What is the Mean Value property for harmonic functions?

The Mean Value property for harmonic functions states that the value of a harmonic function at any point inside a domain is equal to the average of its values on the boundary of that domain.

What does it mean for a function to be harmonic?

A function is harmonic if it satisfies Laplace's equation, which states that the sum of the second-order partial derivatives of the function is equal to zero.

How is the Mean Value property related to harmonic functions with a source?

The Mean Value property is particularly useful when dealing with harmonic functions with a source, as it allows us to calculate the value of the function at any point inside the domain using only the values on the boundary.

What is a source in the context of harmonic functions?

A source is a point or region in a domain where the function has a singularity or a discontinuity, causing a non-uniform distribution of values on the boundary.

How is the Mean Value property used in practical applications?

The Mean Value property has numerous applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating electric potentials and fluid flows. It is also used in image processing and computer graphics for smoothing and interpolation.