Mean Value Theorm type question

In summary, the given problem involves a continuously differentiable function f with specific values at 0 and 1 and their derivatives. Using the Mean Value Theorem, it can be shown that there exists a point c in the interval [0,1] where f'(c) = 1. By choosing specific values for f(x), it can be shown that there exists a point S in (0,1) where |f''(S)| > 4. However, finding a function that satisfies all the given conditions is still a work in progress.
playboy

Homework Statement

Let f : R ---> R be a Continuosly differentiable function such that f(0) = 0 , f(1) = 1 and f'(0) = f'(1) = 0 .
Show that their exists an S in (0, 1) such that |f''(S)| > 4 .

Homework Equations

I am unsure if I am even supposed to use the mean value theorm in this problem, but it seems like you have to..

THE MEAN VALUE THEORM:

Let f : [a, b] → R be continuous on the closed interval [a, b], and differentiable on the open interval (a, b). Then there exists some R in (a, b) such that

f(b) − f(a) = f'(R)(b − a)

The Attempt at a Solution

Apply derivatives to the mean value theorm above to get:

f'(b) − f'(a) = f''(S)(b − a)

Now, taking the magnitudes, we get

|f'(b) − f'(a)| < |f''(S)||(b − a)|

Now computing, we get

|f'(1) − f'(0)| < |f''(S)||(1 − 0)|

|0 − 0| < |f''(S)|

0< |f''(S)|

Hence

0< |f''(S)|

so indeed, 4< |f''(S)|

How does this sound?

I am very unsure of this...I don't think it is rigourous enough

Physics news on Phys.org
You are only given that f is "continuously differentiable". It does not follow from that that f even has a second derivative at any particular point.

Also, f(b)- f(a) = f'(c)(b-a) is true for specific values of a, b, c, not variables. You can say that, for any x, y in [a, b], f(x)- f(y)= f'(c)(x-y) but then what variable are you going to differentiate with respect to: x or y?

Finally, you can say that, for any x in [a,b], f(x)- f(b)= f'(c)(x-a) and differentiate that with respect to x but then you get f'(x)= f'(c), not what you give.

You can use the mean value theorem to say that there exist c in [0, 1] such that f'(c)= f(1)- f(0)= 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
You are only given that f is "continuously differentiable". It does not follow from that that f even has a second derivative at any particular point.

Also, f(b)- f(a) = f'(c)(b-a) is true for specific values of a, b, c, not variables. You can say that, for any x, y in [a, b], f(x)- f(y)= f'(c)(x-y) but then what variable are you going to differentiate with respect to: x or y?

Finally, you can say that, for any x in [a,b], f(x)- f(b)= f'(c)(x-a) and differentiate that with respect to x but then you get f'(x)= f'(c), not what you give.

You can use the mean value theorem to say that there exist c in [0, 1] such that f'(c)= f(1)- f(0)= 1.

Thank you HallsofIvy... I had the Mean Value Theorm wrong...

Let me start again..

a=0, b=1

for any x in [a,b], f(x)- f(b)= f'(c)(x-a)

hence,

f(x)- f(1)= f'(c)(x-0)

and we take the derivative with respect to x

f'(x)- f'(1)= f''(c)(x-0)

now we take the magnitude

|f'(x)- f'(1)| < |f''(c)||x|

and f'(1)=0

|f'(x)| < |f''(c)||x|

and now i don't know where to go from here..

any help please?

I think i know how to solve it...

I need to find a function such that f(0)=0 and f(1)=1 and f'(0)=f'(1)=1.

does:

f(x) = 0 for 0 =< x =< 0.25

f(x) = x for 0.25 < x =<0.75

f(x) = 1 for 0.75< x =< 1

but off course, f'(x) won't be conintuously differentiable...

thus, for

|f'(x)| < |f''(c)||x|

choose x=0.75

hence,

for x=0.75, f'(x) = 1

1<|f''(c)||0.75|
4/3 < |f''(c)|

but this function dosn't work in my case...

anybody know a few functions such that f(0)=0 and f(1)=1 and f'(0)=f'(1)=1 ?

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that for a continuous and differentiable function on an interval, there exists at least one point on that interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function.

2. How is the Mean Value Theorem used in calculus?

The Mean Value Theorem is used to prove many important results in calculus, such as the First and Second Derivative Tests, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, and the Intermediate Value Theorem. It is also used to find the maximum and minimum values of a function on a closed interval.

3. Can the Mean Value Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the Mean Value Theorem can only be applied to continuous and differentiable functions. This means that the function must have no breaks or gaps in its graph and must have a well-defined derivative at all points on the interval.

4. What is the significance of the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is significant because it provides a powerful tool for analyzing the behavior of functions. It allows us to make conclusions about the slope and rate of change of a function without having to know the function's exact formula.

5. Are there any limitations to the Mean Value Theorem?

Yes, there are a few limitations to the Mean Value Theorem. One limitation is that it only applies to functions defined on a closed interval. Also, the theorem does not tell us the exact location of the point where the slope is equal to the average rate of change, only that it exists somewhere on the interval.