1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean value with respect to a function f

1. Jul 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I wanted to ask anyone willing to check my proofs to two problems, so that I may know if I am making any mistakes or assumptions.
    Let the function [itex]f[/itex] be continuous and strictly monotonic on the positive real axis and let [itex]g[/itex] denote the inverse of [itex]f[/itex]. If [itex]a_1\lt a_2\lt...\lt a_n[/itex] are n given positive real numbers, we define their mean value with respect to f to be the number [itex]M_f[/itex] defined as follows:
    [tex]M_f=g(\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1} ^{n} f(a_i))[/tex]
    1. Show that [itex]a_1\lt M_f\lt a_n[/itex].
    2. If [itex] h(x)=af(x)+b[/itex], show that [itex]M_h = M_f[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    As above, [itex]M_f=g(\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1} ^{n} f(a_i))[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Solution 1.
    Since [itex]f[/itex] is a strictly monotonic function, we must have have either
    [tex]f(a_1) \lt f(a_2) \lt ... \lt f(a_n) \text{ or,}[/tex][tex]f(a_1) \gt f(a_2) \gt ... \gt f(a_n)[/tex]
    It follows that [tex] nf(a_1) \lt \sum_{i=1}^{n} f(a_i) \lt nf(a_n) \text{ or,}[/tex][tex]nf(a_1) \gt \sum_{i=1}^{n} f(a_i) \gt nf(a_n)[/tex] for each set of inequalities, respectively. Further, these inequalities imply [tex] f(a_1) \lt \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^{n} f(a_i) \lt f(a_n) \text{ or,}[/tex][tex]f(a_1) \gt \frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n} f(a_i) \gt f(a_n)[/tex] Now we simply consider each case. First, assume that [itex]f[/itex] strictly increases. Then [itex]g[/itex] also strictly increases, and we may apply [itex]g[/itex] to the first set of inequalities above to derive: [tex]a_1 \lt M_f \lt a_n[/tex]
    Now assume [itex]f[/itex] strictly decreases. Then [itex]g[/itex] strictly decreases as well. If we apply [itex]g[/itex] to the second set of inequalities above, the inequality signs must reverse since the function is decreasing. Therefore, we derive: [tex]g[f(a_1)] \lt g[\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n} f(a_i)] \lt g[f(a_n)][/tex][tex]a_1 \lt M_f \lt a_n[/tex]
    This completes the proof of problem 1.

Solution 2.
    If [itex] h(x) = af(x) + b[/itex], then [itex] f(x) = \frac{h(x) - b}{a}[/itex]. We may apply [itex]g[/itex] to both sides to get [tex] x = g(\frac{h(x)-b}{a})[/tex] Let [itex]s(y)=x[/itex] be the inverse function of [itex]h(x)[/itex], such that [itex] y = h(x) [/itex]. Through this we attain: [tex] s(y) = g(\frac{y - b}{a})[/tex] Now we may consider [itex]M_h[/itex]. [tex] M_h = s(\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n} h(a_i))[/tex][tex]M_h = g(\frac{\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n} h(a_i) - b}{a})[/tex] We may write [itex] b = \frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n}b [/itex], which allows us to work with both terms together in the numerator. Combine the denominator into the sum to make the proof clearer. Through this, we may derive: [tex] M_h = g(\frac{1}{n}[\sum_{i=1}^{n}\frac{ h(a_i) - b}{a}]) [/tex] Since [itex] f(x) = \frac{h(x) - b}{a}[/itex] for each [itex] x = a_1, x = a_2, ..., x=a_n[/itex], the sum reduces to [tex] M_h = g(\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n} f(a_i) = M_f[/tex] This is true by definition, and thus completes the proof.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2015 #2
    Looks fine to me.

4. Jul 10, 2015 #3
    Thank you for checking it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted