1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meaning of labs-on-a chip in imicrofluidic devices

1. Mar 24, 2007 #1
    meaning of " labs-on-a chip" in imicrofluidic devices

hi everybody
    I dont understand the meaning of " labs-on-a chip" when imicrofluidic devices is the principal topic. Also, I'd like to ask what it is a microfluidic device
    thank you if you can help me .
    MJ

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2007 #2

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Lab-on-a-chip is a concept whereby a microfluidic sample can be optically analysed using integrated optics, allowing spectroscopic and other forms of analysis to be performed using a single substrate (hence the term lab-on-a-chip).

A microfluidic devices is one where fluid is passed through channels with sub-millimetre dimensions.

Claude.

4. Mar 31, 2007 #3

L62

"Lab on a chip" refers to the capability of microsystems technology to perform chemical analyses or processes on a chip, the advantage being faster response times, higher resolution, and higher portability/lower power consumption of the diagnostics compared to doing the same processes on a larger scale. Microfluidics provide the means for transporting, mixing and reacting the chemicals in the lab-on-chip device, thus they are often synonymous, although sometimes the term "microfluidics" refers more specifically to the study of mass/fluid/heat transport at the microscale.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?