Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meaning of labs-on-a chip in imicrofluidic devices

1. Mar 24, 2007 #1
    meaning of " labs-on-a chip" in imicrofluidic devices

hi everybody
    I dont understand the meaning of " labs-on-a chip" when imicrofluidic devices is the principal topic. Also, I'd like to ask what it is a microfluidic device
    thank you if you can help me .
    MJ

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2007 #2

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Lab-on-a-chip is a concept whereby a microfluidic sample can be optically analysed using integrated optics, allowing spectroscopic and other forms of analysis to be performed using a single substrate (hence the term lab-on-a-chip).

A microfluidic devices is one where fluid is passed through channels with sub-millimetre dimensions.

Claude.

4. Mar 31, 2007 #3

L62

"Lab on a chip" refers to the capability of microsystems technology to perform chemical analyses or processes on a chip, the advantage being faster response times, higher resolution, and higher portability/lower power consumption of the diagnostics compared to doing the same processes on a larger scale. Microfluidics provide the means for transporting, mixing and reacting the chemicals in the lab-on-chip device, thus they are often synonymous, although sometimes the term "microfluidics" refers more specifically to the study of mass/fluid/heat transport at the microscale.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?