Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meaning of line element vector on work formula

1. Jan 13, 2014 #1

pfr

I've been struggling with this for the past hours and I can't find a good answer.
    Using the integral for work [itex] W = \int_a^b \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{s} [/itex], when [itex] a > b [/itex], and the force is directed from a to b, i keep getting a negative result. I am considering [itex] d\vec{s} [/itex] as the infinitesimal difference of the position vector along the integral route, so it has the same direction of the force. Is this wrong? Where am I messing up, and what [itex] d\vec{s} [/itex] should truly mean here?

E.g The work performed by a gravitational field upon a particle while bringing it from infinity

[tex] W = \int_\infty^R \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{s} = \int_\infty^R (\frac{-GMm}{r^2})\hat{r}\cdot (-dr)\hat{r} = \int_\infty^R \frac{GMm}{r^2}dr = \left.\frac{-GMm}{r}\right|_\infty^R = \frac{-GMm}{R} [/tex]
    Which is false, since the work is obviously positive.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Yes. [itex]d\vec{s}[/itex] is shorthand for [itex]\dfrac{d \vec s}{dt}\,dt[/itex] where [itex]t[/itex] parametrizes the path. It can be time, but need not be. Arclength is another possible choice. Expanding the definition of the line integral, one has
    [tex]
    W = \int_C \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{s} =
    \int_{t_0}^{t_1} \vec{F}(\vec{s}(t)) \cdot \frac{d\vec{s}(t)}{dt}\,dt
    [/tex]

You have made a sign error. Here we have purely radial displacement, so [itex]d\vec{s} = r'(t) \hat r\,dt = \hat r \,dr[/itex] (because by definition [itex]r'(t)\,dt = dr[/itex]), not [itex]-\hat r\,dr[/itex] as you have. You will then find that
    [tex]
    \int \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{s} = \int_{\infty}^{R} \frac{-GMm}{r^2}\,dr = \frac{GMm}{R} > 0[/tex]
    as required.

EDIT: Try to avoid using coordinates as parameters for curves. It leads to exactly this sort of confusion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook