Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measurable functions and division by zero

1. Aug 17, 2010 #1
    Consider the function [itex]g(t) = f(t)/t[/itex] on [itex][0,1][/itex], where [itex]f[/itex] is measurable on [itex][0,1][/itex]. Does it follow that [itex]g[/itex] is measurable on [itex][0,1][/itex]? I know there's a problem -- namely, division by zero -- only on a set of measure zero -- namely, [itex]\{0\}[/itex] -- and that [itex]g[/itex] agrees with the measurable function [itex]g_0 = g|_{(0,1]}[/itex] almost everywhere. So I'd think the answer is "yes," since I was under the impression that if two functions agreed almost everywhere, then if one was measurable, the other was too...but I thought that was only if the functions were defined on the same set, and [itex]g[/itex] and [itex]g_0[/itex] clearly are not.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

There is nothing in the definition of measurable functions to prevent a function from being infinite.
  4. Aug 19, 2010 #3

Science Advisor

In other words, g is defined on the whole interval [0,1]:

taking the value [itex]\infty[/itex] at t=0.
    (well, I don't know how f is defined, but at least if f if is everywhere finite this makes sense)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook