Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions related to an unknown function given its values at some points

1. Oct 10, 2015 #1

Sujith Sizon

Gold Member

A function ##f(x)## is continuous in the interval ##[0,2]##. It is known that ##f(0)=f(2)=−1## and ##f(1)=1##. Which one of the following statements must be true?

(A) There exists a ##y## in the interval ##(0,1)## such that ##f(y)=f(y+1)##

(B) For every ##y## in the interval ##(0,1),f(y) = f(2−y)##

(C) The maximum value of the function in the interval ##(0,2)## is ##1##

(D) There exists a ##y## in the interval ##(0,1)## such that ##f(y) = −f(2−y)##

----------
    Here's my approach:

Consider a function ##g(y) = f(y) - f(y+1)## since ##f## is a continuous function and ##g## is a combination of ##f## so it is also continuous in ##[0,1]##.

it is found that

##g(0)=f(0)-f(1)=-1-1=-2## and

##g(1)=f(1)-f(2)=1-(-1)=+2##

since #g# goes from ##-2## to ##+2## and is continuous in ##(0,1)## therefore there has to be a point in b/w ##(0,1)## such that ##g(\text{that point}) = 0##

when ##g(y)=0## for some ##$y\in(0,1)## then ##f(y) = f(y+1)##, Hence **statement A** is true.

Using the same logic **statement D** is true too. It is clear that statement B and C are false.

The answer booklet says that only **statement A** is true. There is no comment on **statement D**; should it be considered false? Is my approach okay?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2015 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

I agree that D is also true. Sometimes question setters make mistakes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook