Measure the deflection at the end of a beam

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a formula to calculate deflection at the end of a beam, which is supported at one end and subject to different weights and gravity. The speaker also mentions the need to measure the deflection to determine the strength of the material and use it for future calculations. They also mention confusion about the Deflection article on Wikipedia and the need for clarification on whether the given deflection value is for vertical or total deflection, and the calculation of horizontal deflection. They ask for help in finding a solution to this problem.
barry_scott
Hi guys, I'm new to the physics world and am getting a bit confused with some of the terms used, stopping me getting the maths i need. Essentially I need to measure the deflection at the end of a beam, supported at one end. Like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/Cantilever_Beam.svg

I will have the beam at different angles with different weights on the end and different gravity. So essentially what i need is a formula where i can specify:

• Gravity
  • Beam Angle
  • Beam length
  • Beam end weight

and obtain a deflection. I'm guessing i will initially have to measure the deflection to obtain information on the strength of the material. Then use this value to calculate future deflections based on weight.

Thanks for any input you guys might have!

Physics news on Phys.org

Whats wrong with the Deflection_(engineering) article in wikipedia?

http://users.aber.ac.uk/mrb6/deflection.gif

The deflection article on wikipedia provides a formula for the calculation of a deflection, this deflection is given as a single value. e.g. 10.6mm
I'm assuming this value is for the vertical deflection of the beam? (labeled Dy)
In which case i also need to calculate the horizontal deflection of the beam (labeled Dx). Essentially shortening of the beams span due to its bending.

or is it the total deflection of the beams end point? (labeled tD)
in which case i need to find the direction this deflection is in (Da), to then calculate the horizontal and vertical deflections.

I would be very grateful for any help in finding a solution to this. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of measuring the deflection at the end of a beam?

Measuring the deflection at the end of a beam allows us to determine the amount of bending or deformation that the beam undergoes when subjected to a load. This information is important for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of the beam.

2. How is the deflection at the end of a beam measured?

The deflection at the end of a beam is typically measured using a device called a deflection gauge or a dial gauge. The gauge is attached to the end of the beam and measures the displacement of the beam as it bends under a load.

3. What factors can affect the deflection of a beam?

The deflection of a beam can be affected by various factors such as the type of material used, the dimensions of the beam, the type and distribution of the load applied, and the support conditions of the beam. Temperature changes and material defects can also impact the deflection of a beam.

4. How does the deflection of a beam relate to its strength?

The deflection of a beam is directly related to its strength. A beam with a larger deflection under a given load indicates that it is weaker and less able to support the load without breaking. On the other hand, a beam with a smaller deflection is considered stronger and more able to withstand the load.

5. Can the deflection at the end of a beam be calculated?

Yes, the deflection at the end of a beam can be calculated using various formulas and equations, depending on the type of beam and the load applied. However, it is always recommended to measure the deflection experimentally to ensure accuracy and account for any potential variables that may affect the calculation.