Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measured lightspeed in general relativity and moving through space.

1. Jul 20, 2012 #1
    Hey guys

I was just wondering the following. Since time slows down when travelling faster, and we move around 1.3 million miles per hour, using the CMBR as a frame of reference. Does this mean our perceived lightspeed is wrong? How fast would we measure time to travel if we managed to come to a complete stop?

Maybe, if the experiment could be done, this would cause the same problems as reaching speeds close to lightspeed?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think you are misunderstanding the basic ideas. Time slows down relative to some observer. In your own coordinate system (relative to yourself) you are always motionless and time flows at a constant rate. There is no "wrong" or "correct" speed for something. The one thing that is NOT relative to an observer is the speed of light- it is the same no matter what your frame of reference is.

4. Jul 20, 2012 #3

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Experiments suggest that the measured speed of light is c, locally, no matter the motions of source and observer.

5. Jul 21, 2012 #4
    I now see the mistake I've made.

Thanks guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook