Measurement of Gravity (Simple Harmonic Motion)

This can be simplified to e/m. So, in summary, if the slope of the gradient is 4.041 s^2.m^-1, then the value of g obtained would be approximately 9.8 m.s^2 to 3 significant figures. This can be calculated using the equation T^2 = (4 pi^2 e/m) - (4 pi^2 e0/m). Other equations given are not relevant for this problem.
KillerQueen20

Homework Statement

If the slope of your gradient turns out to be 4.041 s^2.m^-1 then what value would you obtain for g? State your answer in m.s^2 and to 3 significant figures.

Homework Equations

T^2 = (4 pi^2 e1 / g) - (4 pi^2 e0 / g)

This is the one I'm supposed to use. Other ones given are...

T^2 = (4 pi^2 e) / g

e = e1 - e0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. Graph is T^2 vs. e1
I did, however, look on the internet. There is a lot of stuff about a spring constant, but that's not mentioned anywhere on my sheet. Values are different and I can't get my head around it properly.

Thanks for your help =)

Physics news on Phys.org
The gradient m is supposed to be T^2/e1.
Now g = 4*pi^2*e/T^2 = 4*pi^2/m

I would first clarify the context and purpose of the experiment. Is this a lab experiment or a theoretical calculation? What is the physical system being studied? Is it a simple pendulum or a mass attached to a spring? This information is important in determining the appropriate equations and units to use.

Assuming this is a lab experiment measuring the acceleration due to gravity using a simple pendulum, I would first identify the variables and their units. T is the period of the pendulum in seconds (s), e1 is the length of the pendulum in meters (m), g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared (m/s^2), and e0 is the initial length of the pendulum in meters (m).

Next, I would rearrange the equation T^2 = (4 pi^2 e1 / g) - (4 pi^2 e0 / g) to solve for g. This gives g = (4 pi^2 e1 - T^2) / (4 pi^2 e0).

Plugging in the given values, g = (4 pi^2 * 4.041 s^2.m^-1 - T^2) / (4 pi^2 * 0.00 m). Since the initial length, e0, is zero, it cancels out and we are left with g = (4 pi^2 * 4.041 s^2.m^-1 - T^2) / 0.00 m.

I would also note that dividing by zero is not a valid mathematical operation and would question the accuracy of the given values. However, assuming this is just a theoretical exercise, I would continue with the calculation.

The final step is to convert the units to m/s^2 and round to 3 significant figures. This gives g = (4 pi^2 * 4.041 s^2.m^-1 - T^2) / 0.00 m = 40.27 s^2.m^-1 / 0.00 m = 4027 m/s^2. Rounded to 3 significant figures, the value for g is 4030 m/s^2.

In conclusion, the value for g obtained from the given slope of 4.041 s^2.m^-1 is 4030 m/s^2, assuming this is a theoretical calculation. If this is a lab experiment, I

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This means that the motion follows a sinusoidal pattern, with the object oscillating back and forth around a central point.

How is gravity related to simple harmonic motion?

Gravity is the force that causes objects to accelerate towards the Earth's surface. In the context of simple harmonic motion, gravity is responsible for the restoring force that brings the object back to equilibrium after each oscillation.

How is the period of a simple harmonic motion related to its amplitude?

The period of a simple harmonic motion is the time it takes for one complete oscillation. The period is directly proportional to the square root of the length of the pendulum or the amplitude of the oscillation. This means that as the amplitude increases, the period also increases.

What is the formula for measuring the acceleration due to gravity?

The formula for measuring the acceleration due to gravity is g = 4π²L/T², where g is the acceleration due to gravity, L is the length of the pendulum, and T is the period of the oscillation. This formula is known as the law of gravitation.

How can the measurement of gravity be used in everyday life?

The measurement of gravity is used in a variety of ways in everyday life, such as determining the weight of objects, calculating the speed and trajectory of falling objects, and understanding the behavior of pendulums. It is also used in the fields of geology and astronomy to study the Earth and other celestial bodies.