Measuring a DC motor's inductance

In summary: In general, for closed-loop systems, the transfer function (the graph of input vs. output) can be converted to a z-transform to more accurately model the system. This is because z-transforms are a more accurate way of modeling nonlinear systems, and can take into account calculation time delay (how long it takes for the input to reach the output).
Engineering news on Phys.org
In general - a dedicated instrument will yield better results when used within it's limits ( and more consistent). But to measure a hobby motor, doing the experimental approach, using the techniques would be more educational. Given the two methods I would be tempted to do both and see how close they come out.

If you have access to an LCR meter, it would of course be faster, more convenient.

bbq_build said:
If I want to measure the inductance of a 12V DC motor . . . .
Why do you want to measure? What's the purpose?

Say you going to make a digital controller for this motor. Having measured L and R, you will have to z-transform a transfer function, taking calculation time delay in the controller into consideration, and so on. If that's the case, there is smarter way, measuring the z-transformed of the transfer function directly.

Please respond if interested.

Hesch said:
Why do you want to measure? What's the purpose?

Say you going to make a digital controller for this motor. Having measured L and R, you will have to z-transform a transfer function, taking calculation time delay in the controller into consideration, and so on. If that's the case, there is smarter way, measuring the z-transformed of the transfer function directly.

Please respond if interested.

Please, I'm currently working on a project on centrifuge modeling, and my supervisor has mentioned to me, what you are saying on converting the open-loop transfer function to z transforms. Can you kindly shed light on 'why' the transfer function should be converted to z transforms? Or I'll appreciate if
you can refer me to any material that'd be of help. Thanks

1. What is inductance and why is it important for DC motors?

Inductance is a property of an electrical circuit that describes the ability of the circuit to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. In DC motors, inductance is important because it affects the motor's speed, torque, and efficiency.

2. How is inductance measured in a DC motor?

Inductance can be measured in a DC motor using an inductance meter. This device sends a known electrical current through the motor and measures the resulting voltage, which is used to calculate the inductance value.

3. What factors can affect the inductance of a DC motor?

The size and shape of the motor's coils, the type of core material used, and the number of turns in the coils can all affect the inductance of a DC motor. Additionally, the presence of other nearby electrical components or external magnetic fields can also impact the inductance value.

4. How does inductance impact the performance of a DC motor?

Inductance can impact the performance of a DC motor in several ways. It can affect the motor's speed by increasing the time it takes for the current to reach its maximum value. It can also impact the motor's torque by causing electrical resistance and reducing the motor's efficiency.

5. Can inductance be adjusted or controlled in a DC motor?

Yes, inductance can be adjusted or controlled in a DC motor by changing the number of turns in the coils, using different core materials, or altering the physical design of the motor. This can be done to optimize the motor's performance for specific applications.