Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring mass flow rate into engine

1. Mar 8, 2013 #1
    I have a motorcycle engine on a test stand and I need a way to measure the mass flow rate into the engine. It is currently carburated.

I had two ideas off the top of my head.

1) build a venturi, and measure the pressure drop to figure out the velocity and therefore the mass flow rate. This requires a bit more intensive fabrication.

2) hook up a MAF and measure the output voltage (usually from 0-5v). I like this option but I am not exactly sure how to do this and figure where to get the info for what voltage the MAF puts out for what CFM (the transfer function)

Any ideas or info would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2013 #2
    Hot wire anemometer and a tube. Many of them can calculate volume flow directly.

4. Mar 18, 2013 #3
    Any obdII engine management system that uses a mass air flow meter reports the inlet temp and mass of air.

If you can supply the crank reference signal the ecu requires and connect a maf, you should be able to use a usb based obdII cable to read the values.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook