Turbocharger: Mass flow rate and pressure ratio

In summary, Charles is seeking a way to relate the pressure ratio and mass flow rate in a compression system using a vehicle turbocharger. He is aware of Stodola's cone law for the turbine, but is unsure if it can be applied to compressors. The inlet conditions and pressure ratio are known, and he is looking for ideas. He later discovers a way to calculate the mass flow rate using the pressure ratio and compressor efficiency.
Carlko26
Hello everyone,

i am currently dimensioning a compression system using a vehicle turbocharger and need to find a way to relate the pressure ratio of the compressor and the mass flow rate. (flows trough compressor and turbine are of course separated)

For the turbine, one can use Stodola's cone law (or ellipse Law) but i don't believe that it is valid or applicable for compressors. Am i wrong?

The inlet conditions and the pressure ratio are known.

Any ideas?

Greetings,

Charles

Carlko26 said:
Hello everyone,

i am currently dimensioning a compression system using a vehicle turbocharger and need to find a way to relate the pressure ratio of the compressor and the mass flow rate. (flows trough compressor and turbine are of course separated)

For the turbine, one can use Stodola's cone law (or ellipse Law) but i don't believe that it is valid or applicable for compressors. Am i wrong?

The inlet conditions and the pressure ratio are known.

Any ideas?

Greetings,

Charles

I figured out by myself how to calculate the mass flow as a function of the pressure ratio

1)

What is a turbocharger?

A turbocharger is a device that increases the amount of air entering an engine, allowing it to burn more fuel and produce more power. It is typically used in internal combustion engines to improve their efficiency and performance.

2)

How does a turbocharger affect mass flow rate?

A turbocharger increases the mass flow rate of air by compressing it before it enters the engine. This allows for a greater quantity of air to be forced into the engine, resulting in a more powerful combustion and increased performance.

3)

What is the pressure ratio of a turbocharger?

The pressure ratio of a turbocharger is the ratio between the air pressure at the compressor inlet and the air pressure at the compressor outlet. It is a measure of how much the air is compressed by the turbocharger and is a key factor in determining the engine's power output.

4)

How does the pressure ratio affect the performance of a turbocharged engine?

A higher pressure ratio in a turbocharged engine results in a greater mass flow rate and therefore, more power. However, if the pressure ratio is too high, it can cause engine knocking or detonation, which can damage the engine and decrease performance.

5)

What factors influence the mass flow rate and pressure ratio in a turbocharger?

The mass flow rate and pressure ratio in a turbocharger are influenced by several factors, including the size and design of the turbocharger, the engine's speed and load, and the ambient air temperature and pressure. These factors must be carefully considered and optimized in order to achieve the desired performance from a turbocharged engine.